Whacha readin'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sn00py
    I bought Da Vinci's code (the one that includes photos of the actual places, tombs, etc).

Now, I have never actually read a book and enjoyed it, because my mind would wander too quickly. However, for the first time in my life, I have been able to read a book (that's not a comic hehe) and not be able to put it down.

Da Vinci's Code taught me a lot about history that I was not aware of (I'm talking about the factual stuff, like paganism, rise of catholicsm..). It all backed up my reason for leaving Christianity.

I'm now in the process of looking for a good game-making book, either that or Digital Fortress, which sounds interesting.
    Much of the crap in it is fake, despite the "everything in this book is true" statement he puts in front. Dan Brown is a whore.

Comment

If everything were true it would be non-fiction. My book states that "All descriptions of artwork, architecture, documents, and secret rituals in this novel are accurate." The story and conclusion are fiction.

I seriously doubt Dan Brown thought Da Vinci would take off the way it did. I don't see NASA throwing a fit over Deception Point or the NSA sending him death threats because of Digital Fortress. In those books he states what things are based on fact but its easier to tell which parts are fiction there. Maybe it is just harder to tell the difference between fact and fiction when it comes to religion.

Comment

That's what I mean. Much of that stuff that it claims is true, isn't.

Comment

Can you please outline those claims Kuci?

I've been doing a lot of studying lately on Paganism, symbology, etc. I'd like to know your views and any sources you can provide.
          be free

Comment

Well, the specific examples I recall have to do with the stuff about phi.

Comment

Criticisms of The Da Vinci Code.

Comment

The Great War and Modern Memory by Paul Fussell.
                "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I have seen programs, and heard numerous people talk, debunking all claims in Da Vinci Code. Of course, most people I talk to don't beleive most of the claims anyways.

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

3 Nights in August by Buzz Bissinger (the guy who wrote "Friday Night Lights")
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Much of the crap in it is fake, despite the "everything in this book is true" statement he puts in front. Dan Brown is a whore.

QFT

Seems I was not the only one perturbed by the word "non-fiction" in that post.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Reading History of Western Philosophy by Betrand Russel.

Also kinda got the book of mormon on the go but well thats hard to read in one sitting.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Non-fiction?

* Kuciwalker cries
                          Er... was supposed to say fiction lol Right before that I read Collapse by Jared Diamond. I'm less optimistic than him

edit: Figures I'd make a mistake like that right before going sleep though. It's no fun if I go back and edit the post 10 minutes later, now is it? *sigh*
                          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Maybe it is just harder to tell the difference between fact and fiction when it comes to religion.
                            How so? Most religious stuff is fiction. Most of the accounts in the Bible, even those that have some basis in reality are fictional.
                            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
                            -Joan Robinson

Comment

Most history is fictional too. Infact, just about everything is really.
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Like that statement

Comment

Working...
                                X