Damnit! Don't Drink and Drive!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damnit! Don't Drink and Drive!

Why? I'll tell you why: One of my sister's friends — all of 17 years old — was killed early Saturday morning because she was in a vehicle being driven by a drunken driver. All three had been drinking. The jeep flipped; none of them were wearing seat belts, and all three were thrown from the vehicle.

She's dead. Her 16-year-old boyfriend is in a coma, and the driver, an 18-year-old, screwed up his back and might be paralyzed.

To reiterate: Damnit! Don't drink and drive! All it does is create a lifetime of sorrow and what-might-have-beens.

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Drinking and driving

Yesterday I knew I was going to be drinking, so I walked 40 minutes to a friend's house and 40 minutes back.

All it takes is a little bit of planning and a willingness to endure a little bit of inconvenience to avoid the chance of ruining somebody's life due to a selfish, dangerous decision.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

****. Speaking of which, I just noticed that I have a half-empty pack of cigarettes on my bookshelf. I must have smoked last night

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, my sister's taking it pretty hard. She's going to go to the funeral ...
        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          ****. Speaking of which, I just noticed that I have a half-empty pack of cigarettes on my bookshelf. I must have smoked last night

"Compromises are not always good things. If one guy wants to drill a five-inch hole in the bottom of your life boat, and the other person doesn't, a compromise of a two-inch hole is still stupid." - chegitz guevara
          "Bill3000: The United Demesos? Boy, I was young and stupid back then.
          Jasonian22: Bill, you are STILL young and stupid."

"is it normal to imaginne dartrh vader and myself in a tjhreee way with some hot chick? i'ts always been my fantasy" - Dis

Comment

That's not a good habit to pick up.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

The moral of this story is never get in a car with a drunk driver. I never did.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Did you ever let someone you knew was drunk drive?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I have ridden with drunk drivers before. (pretty often in fact)

And have been buzzed while driving once or twice. Which isn't a good thing, and I intend to never happen again. (any time that you can feel the effects of alcohol you shouldn't be driving)

Jon Miller
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

It's okay to smoke when you drink. Just don't do it when you're sober.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                      I have ridden with drunk drivers before. (pretty often in fact)

And have been buzzed while driving once or twice. Which isn't a good thing, and I intend to never happen again. (any time that you can feel the effects of alcohol you shouldn't be driving)

Jon Miller
                      When I was growing up people were still having bush parties. Some farmer's field with a bon fire and a lot of beer. Everyone had good times and then when the sun was coming up we'd all drive home. There was a time when drinking and driving were not universally thought of as a bad combination.

I think most people from my generation have had their day.

My day was when I was listening to Peter Warren and he replayed an interview with a man who had killed a child while driving home after a company Christmas party.

There was something about listening to the man describe his feelings as he continually watches the boy's face as the body came up over the hood and into the windshield, and then the devestation it had on the life of the driver.

Warren plays that every year coming near Christmas. The driver committed suicide some years ago.

I've never driven after drinking since hearing it the first time.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

A few friends of mine were getting trashed in a park a couple of months ago. I hadn't seen them for a few months so I drove up there and had a chat...

They were completely ****ed off their face. The sad thing happened as I was driving away I noticed in my rear view mirror they were all getting into a car...

Another driving related thing is simply lack of sleep. Apparantly going without sleep for 18 hours puts your concentration at the same level as someone who is at the drink driving limit. Without sleep for 24 hours is the same as drinking half a bottle of scotch. I see it on the motorway time and time again at 2am or whenever... luckily there's very few people on the roads then.

Comment

At least one of the times I drove buzzed, I didn't realise I was buzzed until after I had finished driving. I think the only completely safe thing is to not drink at all before hand, because alcohol tolerance changes depending on food intake, recent alcohol intake, time involved, etc.

I drive exhausted all the time. Did tonight in fact.

I put tons of space in front of me.. and try to do things to keep me up. I was up to the blinking all the time stage tonight. Some person, who I think was trying to be an *******, helped me tonight, by driving really close behind me and flashing brights a couple of times. Woke me up a bit (I still have ~18 miles to go). I think he was annoyed that I was in the left line and driving sub70. But when I get tired, I try to make it so that I have plenty of room in front of me, and don't change lanes.

It isn't very safe though.

Jon Miller
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                            Did you ever let someone you knew was drunk drive?
                            No. Not that I drink much any more – I did take my Plato class out for beers last week and they got hammered though.

I have two rules:

(1) Never let anyone drive drunk if I can stop them.

(2) Protect drunk girls from guys who might do something that everyone would regret.

The second one has got me close to being beaten up on a number of occasions in the past.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

The things I do to keep me up are sing, listen to music, drink (stuff with surgar in it), eat, drink (stuff with caffiene in it), and cause pain to myself (bite my lip, press a bottle cap hard into my skin, etc).

Jon Miller
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X