Who is telling the truth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whoha
    If so far includes himself then hes lying because hes telling the truth(and so on).
    That was kind of the point. It's a weird puzzle. Most of these things don't use intensional contexts, which is why this one is more interesting than most.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Re: Who is telling the truth?

Analyzed in line:

Adams: "My five friends here are telling the truth, of course."
      Obviously false, since only one answer can be true.

Benson: "As usual, all of those four morons from the creek are lying."
      Possibly true, since he calls 4 out of the 6 false, and doesn't comment on the last one (which is also false).

Creek-Cooper: "Only one of the two distinguished gentlemen before me was telling the truth."
      This can not be true since that would imply at least two true statements. So the first two are either both false or both true. Since we know the first to be false, they're both false.

Dixon of the Creek: "My three friends have just been telling you the truth", referring to the three who spoke before him.
      Impossible.

Everts Creekdweller: "Nobody who has spoken so far has told the truth."
      True.

Fredericks O'Creek: "You're all a bunch of liars."
      False. The previous statement was true.

As for the "so far" argument, it's off the mark. He clearly says "... spoken so far..." He is currently speaking, therefore he can not be refering to himself due to the tense.
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Victor Galis
        As for the "so far" argument, it's off the mark. He clearly says "... spoken so far..." He is currently speaking, therefore he can not be refering to himself due to the tense.
        Agreed. Bow before my mad translating skillz!

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
          Adams is obviously ruled out. Benson is ruled out by Creek-Cooper's statement (see above). Creek-cooper has already been dismissed. Dixon obviously ruled out. O'Creek's statement, if true, would mean that Creekdweller's statement was also true, making 2 true statements, both violating the rules of the game and contradicting itself.

By process of elimination, Creekdweller alone remains.

You don't even have to eliminate all of them. Just work down the list and each eliminates himself, until 5 is obviously true.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

You don't even have to eliminate all of them. Just work down the list and each eliminates himself, until 5 is obviously true.
            Actually, 2 doesn't eliminate himself, his statement is eliminated by 3.
            "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
            -Joan Robinson

Comment

It amazes me you think this is some sort of achievement.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

If it matters, after just reading the OP my conclusion was E.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                X