Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dead Sea is Dying

Soon it will really be dead!

Fresh water supplies are dwindling the world over - just wondering how much longer it will be before the first war on fresh water is fought somewhere in the world...?

Guess I'd better get my skates on and visit Jordan toot sweet, before all the farmers suck it dry!
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

How is the Dead Sea "fresh water"?

Comment

It is obviously fed by fresh water sources.

Mobius, water will succeed oil in its position soon. There will be Dallas-like TV shows on fresh water clans.

Comment

I'm sure the places that are now being regularly inundated with floods will be more than willing to export the stuff.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

On the plus side to the Dead Sea issue, there is now more land for Israeli's and Arabs to fight over.

Comment

1999 - Dead Sea in danger

2001 - Dead Sea 'to disappear by 2050'

2002 - Dead Sea keeps falling

2003 - Middle East water wars

2004 - Jordan appeals to save Dead Sea

Hmmm, nobody appears to be taking much notice - apart from the news agencies...
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I consider water polution to be the biggest danger to humans in the world

I view global warming to be a distant 4th or maybe 5th..

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

In south america there is no lack of water thanks god.

Dont you think when the first world countries start having problems they will invent a cheap way of turning sea water into fresh water?
                I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Brachy-Pride
                  In south america there is no lack of water thanks god.

Dont you think when the first world countries start having problems they will invent a cheap way of turning sea water into fresh water?
                  even current methods would work out. they would just crimp economic growth somewhat due to additional expenditures on energy to power the desalinization plants..

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                    I consider water polution to be the biggest danger to humans in the world

I view global warming to be a distant 4th or maybe 5th..

JM
                    The Dead Sea 'problem' is not climate change, its diversion of rivers for irrigation. Same issue for the Caspian and Aral Seas IIRC. Just in case that is what you were implying.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                      1999 - Dead Sea in danger

2001 - Dead Sea 'to disappear by 2050'

2002 - Dead Sea keeps falling

2003 - Middle East water wars

2004 - Jordan appeals to save Dead Sea

Hmmm, nobody appears to be taking much notice - apart from the news agencies...

We have a worth-while agenda for the Middle East countries that doesn't include car bombings.
                      Unless you're asking the USA to get involved; in which case, fat damn chance.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin

The Dead Sea 'problem' is not climate change, its diversion of rivers for irrigation. Same issue for the Caspian and Aral Seas IIRC. Just in case that is what you were implying.
                        no, I was responding to those talking about the 'fresh water problem'

and saying that I thought it was the biggest problem...

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Given the long-standing importance of irrigation in many areas of the world, I'd be sorta surprised if no war had been fought over water yet.
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Re: The Dead Sea is Dying

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                            Soon it will really be dead!

Fresh water supplies are dwindling the world over - just wondering how much longer it will be before the first war on fresh water is fought somewhere in the world...?

Guess I'd better get my skates on and visit Jordan toot sweet, before all the farmers suck it dry!
                            QUICK!! FIND A WAY TO BLAME THE UNITED STATES OR BUSH FOR THIS!!!
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Have no fear. He will.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X