Something from the murky past of OT: Story Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something from the murky past of OT: Story Threads

(am posting this here since I think that the people who posted on story threads years and years ago would be more likely to be here than on other forums)

Waaaaaay back in 1999 when I used to really post a lot on this forum (that's why I'm an Emperor ) one of the more popular ways to waste time were story threads. After a while they all got moved to the Story Thread & Diplomacy forum where they declined pretty rapidly since not as many people noticed them there.

If anyone from the old threads in 1999/2000 is still around or if anyone else wants to check it out, I'm going to be starting up a story threadish game on another forum, right over here:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb...board=play_ooc;action=display;num=1146679413

I've got ten people who've already expressed interest in playing over on that forum so it should get off the ground pretty easily.

The basic idea is that it will start in 1000 AD and that players can choose one of the rulers of Europe and the Middle East who ruled at that time. Then they can post describing what their ruler is doing and I'll (being the GM/Moderator) post the results. Pretty straight forward. Being a big history geek, I'll try my best to keep the results of your actions realistic.
    Stop Quoting Ben

I have been not posting a lot for less time than you and I am an emperor also

so easy to get to now

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Oh, the NES (never ending stories). Why don't you do it here?
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
        NPO's* that's why.

*No Plus Ones
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          Because over on the forum that I'm doing it on, I got 10+ people expressing interest in under 24 hours. I don't think that I'd get that many on Poly. I'd love to host it on poly but I just don't think I'd get enough traffic.

I would love to have some Apolyton members, especially those that posted on the Story Threads back in the old days.
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I'm actually leading the only (well, that I know of) active 'Poly NES at the moment. It's called "HRE NES," and chronicles the rise of the Holy Roman Empire starting in 911 AD, with players playing as the various Duchies of the fledgling German Kingdom. It's in the Stories & Diplomacy forum if you want to take a look, and if you'd like to join in read the first post - there are some spaces that will be opening up very soon.

Looks like you're doing a similar thing, Bosh, though a bit in the future of mine. It looks cool, and if I had more time I'd join up - modding one NES is enough for me at the moment.
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

It was a cold dark night, when Pekka entered the his room. He stared out his window and noted to himself, "It's really cold and dark out there. What a great way to start my 67th screenplay about myself!" Enthused by this new prospect he decided that his excitement could only be released by sharing this brilliant idea with the posters on Apolyton. "They love this kind of stuff," he said to himself as he forced his thumb into the power button of his computer. Little did he know that he was about to begin a journey that would not only challenge his remarkable intelligence but put his very soul on the line.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Sounds interesting.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Where do we go to get started?
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                    Where do we go to get started?
                    Post on the linked thread with a nation claim and a little two paragraph intro about your character (diary entry, evil plans, slice of life whatever). I'll get the game started when I have a good full roster of players (have a lot of interested people, so it shouldn't take too long).
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                      It was a cold dark night, when Pekka entered the his room. He stared out his window and noted to himself, "It's really cold and dark out there. What a great way to start my 67th screenplay about myself!" Enthused by this new prospect he decided that his excitement could only be released by sharing this brilliant idea with the posters on Apolyton. "They love this kind of stuff," he said to himself as he forced his thumb into the power button of his computer. Little did he know that he was about to begin a journey that would not only challenge his remarkable intelligence but put his very soul on the line.
                      "What are you doing?"

Pekka looked around. It was still really cold and dark out there, and he was still definitely alone in the house. "Am i talking to myself?" he thought. "Have i gone crazy?"
                      He smiled. "That would be such a brilliant twist in the scenario! I have to start a thread on this!"

Pekka sat down, grinning with anticipation.
                      What?

Comment

Working...
                      X