No announcement yet.

9/11 Bomber Gets Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still for the death penalty as an option. Whatever is most severe. In this case, 6 life terms is way worse. By himself.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
      Also, yet another example of a death penalty opponent stressing how people should be made to suffer for the rest of their lives.

Explain to me again how someone like yourself Mobius, being against the death penalty, can claim to have the moral high ground, but yet, make such remarks?

Hypocrisy
      No hypocrisy at all. You evidently don't understand my position regarding punishment...

Sloww, there is no point having the death penalty if it is the lesser punishment.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

It's an option, and I said in this case. Don't generlize my statements. You stay busy enough making your own generalizations.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
          It's an option, and I said in this case. Don't generlize my statements. You stay busy enough making your own generalizations.

You're right . . . . .

one should never interfere with a Texan's own generalizations.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS

No hypocrisy at all. You evidently don't understand my position regarding punishment...
            I understand completely.

You are morally superior to us mouthbreathers who support the death penalty.

And you want evil criminals and terrorists and such to spend the rest of their lives in prison suffering and getting assraped because it is a worse punishment than death.

BTW, a "life sentence" is a death sentence... it just takes longer.

As I said... I understand your position completely.

Hypocrisy.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I guess the thing I'm having a problem with is... I happen to believe the whole thing about cruel and unusual punishment that is in the US Constitution. Now, I know this is subject to interpretation... but maybe we can agree on some things, maybe not.

Death isn't unusual. Everyone dies. Death can be cruel... death can also be painless.

Locking someone up, temporarily... I have no problem with. But locking someone up... indefinitely... waiting for them to die naturally... that seems... cruel... especially when you consider the whole assraping thing. It may not be unusual because we do it so often, but it really is if you think about it. A person would go absolutely insane being locked up for the rest of their lives. You wouldn't treat an animal that way... it's abuse. But doing that to a person? It's okay? huh?

And let's all be honest here. As I said before... when someone is sentenced to life in prison, how is it different from the death penalty? Isn't the point of "life in prison" so that they will eventually DIE IN PRISON?

Does it make you feel better that the state isn't directly causing their death? But essentially, it is the same thing. The prisoner stays in prison for a longer period... then... is dead. Only by some other means.

If there is no possibility for parole, reprieve, or eventual release... you might as well just put them to death. Because a life sentence is the same as a death sentence. Go visit a prison and ask anyone serving such a sentence.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If I was in such a position I would surely prefer a little lethal injection. That's a very humane way to go. Beats getting hit by a bus.

Comment

The fact that prison life sucks is supposed to be a deterrent too.
                  "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Vince, half here don't recognise the difference in deterrence and punishment. Don't even try.

Comment

OK. Before I drop it though I'd like to say that I believe capital punishment is a great deterrent. Not a single executed individual ever committed another crime.
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

I understand completely.

You are morally superior to us mouthbreathers who support the death penalty.

And you want evil criminals and terrorists and such to spend the rest of their lives in prison suffering and getting assraped because it is a worse punishment than death.

BTW, a "life sentence" is a death sentence... it just takes longer.

As I said... I understand your position completely.

Hypocrisy.
                        Then it's not hypocrisy is it?

I am the one who want to punish them, whereas you're the one who wants to let them off (assuming you're pro DP).

Take this guy for example, if you give this guy the death penalty that is exactly what he wants because in his mind he's going to a martyr's death with all those virgins and stuff waiting for him - how is that punishing him!!???

Sloww and Sava here want to reward muslim extremists for plotting to kill thousands of innocent civilians!

Comment

I guess the thing I'm having a problem with is... I happen to believe the whole thing about cruel and unusual punishment that is in the US Constitution. Now, I know this is subject to interpretation... but maybe we can agree on some things, maybe not.

Death isn't unusual. Everyone dies. Death can be cruel... death can also be painless.

Locking someone up, temporarily... I have no problem with. But locking someone up... indefinitely... waiting for them to die naturally... that seems... cruel... especially when you consider the whole assraping thing. It may not be unusual because we do it so often, but it really is if you think about it. A person would go absolutely insane being locked up for the rest of their lives. You wouldn't treat an animal that way... it's abuse. But doing that to a person? It's okay? huh?
                          Actually there's plenty of zoos out there treating animals exactly like that.

Well really all you're commenting on is the poor treatment of inmates in US jails, so that is an indictment on the US prison system and not the sentence of life itself.

And let's all be honest here. As I said before... when someone is sentenced to life in prison, how is it different from the death penalty? Isn't the point of "life in prison" so that they will eventually DIE IN PRISON?
                          Yes, if their crime is sufficiently terrible then they should suffer the ultimate punishment.

Does it make you feel better that the state isn't directly causing their death? But essentially, it is the same thing. The prisoner stays in prison for a longer period... then... is dead. Only by some other means.
                          Irrelevant. I want the ultimate punishment for the very worst crimes. For me taking your life is a far greater punishment than putting you to death.

If there is no possibility for parole, reprieve, or eventual release... you might as well just put them to death. Because a life sentence is the same as a death sentence. Go visit a prison and ask anyone serving such a sentence.
                          So what you're saying is you want to 'put them out of their misery' by killing them...

I am against the DP not because the state is killing someone, but because it allows the criminal to escape punishment because once they're dead that is an end to their punishment. Whereas life means a lifetime of atoning for your crimes, which to me is a punishment that fits the crime.

My only problem about a life sentence is that it is incredibly expensive in money and resources to lock someone away for all time, so I'm looking forward to a time when we can download a criminal's mind into a VR prison. Then we can kill the body (and harvest it for organs) and not have to spend money on locking up prisoners for life - now that's what I call a win-win situation!

Actually then with the VR prison, we could make prisoners serve those stupid x-hundred year sentences US judges hand out because we could keep the crim 'alive' for the duration of their sentence...

Comment

I bet if you give some lifers the option to be executed voluntarily they'll take it. May be a good idea too.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                              I bet if you give some lifers the option to be executed voluntarily they'll take it. May be a good idea too.
                              Hardly a punishment if you start giving people choices though.

Seems to me if you give a criminal a choice of what they'd rather do - you should do the opposite...

I'm surprised no one wants to debate this more...

Comment

Mobius, you're an idiot. I said this was the proper sentence. Vince didn't say give murderers an option.
                                Just keep clicking your teeth though, and ignoring what's been said.

Comment

Working...
                                X