Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

What's "the point" of this movie? I don't mean to disparage it by any means; I frigging loved it. But I loved it only as a hysterical view into the surreal world of two drug-addled lunatics journeying through a land that didn't want them. Or some similar pretentious summary. It was funny, anyway.

I figure I really should broaden my horizons, see what Hunter S. Thompson was trying to express about America or the human condition. I realized this after sort of borrowing the first couple minutes of the movie's plot to do a Spanish assignment. Today my prof is going to get to read about this really bad day I had back in the seventies, driving around in a convertible with my nutty attorney and screaming about the giant bats menacing us. I doubt she's ever seen the movie, so she'll have no idea WTF is going on, but I say it serves her right for giving us the assignment. We don't know enough Spanish yet to really tell a lucid story.
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

The point? Nihilism?
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Hopefully you sited it.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I don't know, I feel that's like asking the point in Pulp Fiction.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I figured citing it would ruin the fun of the teacher trying to figure out where it came from. Besides, if I cited it she might get curious about it and watch it, and I'm not sure her heart could take it.
          1011 1100

Comment

The point of that movie was to yank me out of one of the strangest moods I had ever been in. Everyone around me thought I was high, except that I'd done no drugs. I kept ranting about Jesus and being gay.

The prescription my friends gave me was to watch that movie, and when it was done, everything was somehow better.
            Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
            "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

No More Games. No More Bombs. No More Walking. No More Fun. No More Swimming. 67. That is 17 years past 50. 17 more than I needed or wanted. Boring. I am always *****y. No Fun -- for anybody. 67. You are getting Greedy. Act your old age. Relax -- This won't hurt
              Don't let the lizards getcha
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Originally posted by Elok
                Today my prof is going to get to read about this really bad day I had back in the seventies, driving around in a convertible with my nutty attorney and screaming about the giant bats menacing us. I doubt she's ever seen the movie, so she'll have no idea WTF is going on,

I highly doubt that. In fact, she may even have read the book, considering how famous it is and how ****ing funny it is.

I doubt I can explain what the book means to you. You have to have lived in the 70s to get it, and I expect in the 60s to really understand it.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The book is about how the exhurberant idealism of the 1960s exploded in self-indulgent hedonism, how they were going to change the world, and just got stoned instead.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

That's one theme, but not all of it.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The movie is an excellent adaptation of the book, and yet it still leaves so much out. I loved both though.
                      He's got the Midas touch.
                      But he touched it too much!
                      Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

The first chapter of "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," perfectly adapted in the movie (Johnny Depp must have a deep familiarity with acid), is one of the greatest scenes in modern literature.

And a lot of the movie should make very little sense if you haven't read the book.

But "Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72" is my favorite HST book.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

Haven't read the book but the movie made sense. Would love to read the book though.

Comment

No, I'm pretty sure she's got no experience with 'em. She seems to be a fairly straightlaced lady...
                            1011 1100

Comment

Ramo, well what do you think Depp and Thompson did when Depp went to live with the guy to get into the role? Chat all the time?

Anyway, great movie, the point of it? Well... I don't see it having a big point except get messed up and go.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X