• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fox, BBC, Al Jazeera most trusted: poll

Whattaya think?

By Jeffrey Goldfarb
    49 minutes ago

LONDON (Reuters) - One-quarter of consumers abandoned a news source over the past year because they lost trust in its reporting, according to a new survey that also found the BBC, Fox News and Al Jazeera the most trusted brands in their respective home regions.

Results of a poll of more than 10,000 adults in 10 countries by the British Broadcasting Corporation, Reuters Group Plc and The Media Center were released on Wednesday, with an additional finding that media worldwide were trusted by an average of 61 percent of respondents compared with 52 percent who said they trusted their governments.

"National TV is still the most trusted news source by a wide margin, although the Internet is gaining ground among the young," said Doug Miller, president of London-based research firm GlobeScan, which conducted the polling.

"The jury is still out on blogs," he added. "Just as many people distrust them as trust them."

The survey confirmed that media consumption is shifting online for younger generations, as 19 percent of those aged 18 to 24 named the Internet as their most important source of news compared with 9 percent overall.

Seventy-two percent of all respondents said they followed the news closely, including 67 percent of those 18 to 24 years old.

Asked to name the news source they most trusted, without any prompting, 59 percent of Egyptians said Al Jazeera, 52 percent of Brazilians said Rede Globo, 32 percent of Britons said the BBC, 22 percent of Germans said ARD and 11 percent of Americans said Fox News, each leading their respective nations.

The most trusted news brands globally were the BBC, Britain's publicly funded broadcaster, and CNN, which is owned by the world's biggest media conglomerate, Time Warner Inc..

Three Internet portals -- Google, Yahoo and Microsoft/MSN -- received the next highest trust ratings across the 10 countries, when respondents were prompted with 16 different brand names.

Although trust in media has grown in most countries over the past four years, the survey found, 28 percent of people across the 10 countries either strongly agreed or somewhat agreed with the statement: "In the past year I have stopped using a specific media source because it lost my trust."

Germans were unique in the survey for naming newspapers more than TV as their most important news source, by a margin of 45 percent to 30 percent.

Among South Koreans, who have a comparatively low trust of media in general, 34 percent said the Internet was their most important source of news compared with 9 percent worldwide.

More than 1,000 people were surveyed in March and April in each of the United Kingdom, United States, Brazil, Egypt, Germany, India, Indonesia, Nigeria, Russia and
    South Korea.

Reuters is a global news and information provider and The Media Center is a nonprofit think tank that researches media-related issues.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Yesterday, on the Soviet-Chinese border, Chinese soldiers disguised as peasants opened fire on a peaceful Soviet tractor. Our tractor returned fire, neutralized the intruders, and flew away...

Comment

horrible, that's what I think. I don't trust either one of those. Fox News is crap (but at least they make it look pretty). BBC is left wing biased. And Al Jazeera. I really don't need to say anything about them.

Comment

BBC is left wing biased.

Not particularly.

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

if I were to rank those three news outlets...

in order of credibility:

1. BBC

4893843. Al Jazeera
          4893844. Fox News

AJ and FN flip spots every so often... but they just keep outdoing each other. In the end, I think AJ might be more credible than FN. And the reason I say this is, Fox News is the mouthpiece of the Republican Party... period. It's pure propaganda. At least Al Jazeera is news, but news from the point of view from the Arab/Muslim side of things. The bias is there, but I think they really believe that what they are showing and the work they are doing is what you could call actual journalism. And with the case of Fox... they know full well all they are doing is producing bull****.

The BBC is one of the best sources of news in the world. I don't buy the whole bias garbage. People say it because they've been told it is that way... but examine the stories... examine the news. Where is the bias? Sure, you could interview every single journalist the BBC employs, and you would find that they are predominantly what Americans would call liberal-minded... but those are the types of people that are attacted to journalism. It doesn't mean those people inject their personal viewpoints into their stories.

As for FoxNews... I can turn it on right now and identify the spin of any story if I wanted to. It's so blatant... they make no attempt at objectivity.
          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'll admit Al Jazeera is a surprise. I'd thought it would only be most trusted among those terrorists who "anonymously" drop off all those video tapes. The poll may be showing a little bias (as polls usually do).
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

And Fox news seems to be getting worse. They are letting that #1 in ratings thing go to their head. They are getting more and more biased or inane. I'm mainly talking about Greta and her missing girl stories. I know she's only doing what the people want to see. She communicates with her fans on her blog. But she is compromising serious journalism for ratings.

Is there a serious journalist left out there?

Comment

[q=Dis]Is there a serious journalist left out there?
                [/q]

This guy:

“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Is there a serious journalist left out there?
                    Stephen Colbert. D'uh.

Comment

<----- This guy
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Seems logical, but for different reasons.

Fox and Al Jazeera are two sides of the same coin: frankly ideological news outlets whose audiences watch precisely because they agree with the point of view being presented. Of course they would be highly trusted -- their job is to convince their viewers that the world is just as viewers already believe it to be.

The BBC is a bit different. Whatever its faults, it does a better job of reporting, explaining complex issues, and asking hard questions than any other English-language TV news outlet. Obviously, that bar is not very high. But it does mean that the BBC appears (and probably is) more "objective" than other TV news sources, and therefore more trustworthy.
                        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

I still feel the BBC was biased in their reporting of the Iraq war. It was a hell of a lot better than Fox News and Al Jazeera, but that's not saying much. There is room for improvement.

Comment

Let me ask this. Why is it ok for one news outlet to put out reports as they interpret, but it's not ok for another?

This in response to Sava's observation.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                              I still feel the BBC was biased in their reporting of the Iraq war. It was a hell of a lot better than Fox News and Al Jazeera, but that's not saying much. There is room for improvement.
                              Yeah, but here's the deal: all news is biased. Period. Moreover, all news is necessarily biased -- it is impossible, in the final analysis, for news reporting not to represent a point of view.

So the only real question is, does a news outlet strive to approach objectivity, even though they can't reach it? Or do they not even bother? I think the BBC tries. Fox, obviously, doesn't bother.

For what it's worth, by those standards the best, most objective news source I've ever seen was the old Des Moines Register back when it was still family-run (they sold out to Gannett in the late 80s). Excellent news coverage, and about as even-handed as possible.
                              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                              X