Grand Challenge 2007 -- Escape from LA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand Challenge 2007 -- Escape from LA

DARPA's sponsoring another Grand Challenge, but this time the course is 60 miles long and the vehicles must operate in normal traffic.

As I have written in the past, there are some very expensive problems that would be solved by autonomous vehicles.

Car accidents cost tens of billions of dollars. Traffic congestion costs tens of billions more. Both of these could be reduced or eliminated through autonomous vehicles. A bonus would be that all time driving could be freed up to read a book or talk on the phone or whatever.

It seems like DARPA is throwing a bone to the non-military society by sponsoring this Grand Challenge. This seems more applicable to LA than to support for an attack on Iran, f.e.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Gosh that would be boring, though, eh? But yeah, I guess I could read or nap on my way to work instead...

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Boring is underrated.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I'm underrated? Cool!

I just like to drive is all. But given the stage the tech is at, by the time they've really got this stuff working at a high enough level, I'll be older and it'll be good to get me off the road (or rather out from behind the wheel).

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Clearly this is a job for Snake Plissken.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Auto-automobiles
            Or Auto2mobiles.

I always felt that lives lost in traffic accidents are a tragedy. We should indeed use our state of technology to prevent that.

Comment

Re: Grand Challenge 2007 -- Escape from LA

Originally posted by DanS
              It seems like DARPA is throwing a bone to the non-military society by sponsoring this Grand Challenge. This seems more applicable to LA than to support for an attack on Iran, f.e.
              Baghdad.

Comment

Working...
              X