Thorn's Attack Plan Revealed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thorn's Attack Plan Revealed!

It's all so clear to me now! How did I not see this coming?

Google's new network for San Fran will offer free, city-wide WiFi coverage. To finance the network and improve local searches, Google will be able to pin-point users to within 60m of their actual location.

The day is coming... we all get signed up for free. Then, once our locations are known, Thorn can finally unleash the Celestial Ferrets of Destruction. We're doomed! Doomed I tell you.

Under the circumstances, would you sign up for free Wi-Fi?

Google's Wi-Fi Tracking Causes More Concerns
    Regardless of how hard Google tries to explain its side, objections continue to surface about it and partner EarthLink's plans to build a wireless network in San Francisco.

Google and EarthLink plan to build a wireless network based on Wi-Fi, a wireless technology contained in most laptops. The two companies would offer free but ad-supported Internet access, plus a $20-per-month plan that is faster, and ad-free. The deal is awaiting approval of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

But the project has caused controversy, especially over how Google plans to track the whereabouts of those using the network.

The latest to stir the pot was a member of the San Francisco board of supervisors, which will be voting on the project in a number of weeks. He was deploring the deal as political cronyism and suggested it needs to be reworked.

About a week ago, the American Civil Liberties Union and two other San Francisco-based agencies said the plans are rife with privacy invasion problems, and asked the city to restructure the deal to appease the concerns.

For instance, the free service forces users to provide information that would let Google track their whereabouts, plus other details like an e-mail address. The geotracking, especially, could also be used by police, the letter adds.

In a statement, Google wrote that the user authentication proposed requires only an e-mail address and password and is only to prevent network abuse such as spamming.

"Google WiFi will not store the content of any of our users' online communications or data transfers and Google employees do not access the content of any communications or files users send or receive," the statement continued.

As Google has put it in the past, the geotracking is merely an advertising gimmick, not a Big Brother technique.

For more on the recently raised concerns, click here. Google's Wi-Fi Tracking Causes More Concerns
    Regardless of how hard Google tries to explain its side, objections continue to surface about it and partner EarthLink's plans to build a wireless network in San Francisco.

Google and EarthLink plan to build a wireless network based on Wi-Fi, a wireless technology contained in most laptops. The two companies would offer free but ad-supported Internet access, plus a $20-per-month plan that is faster, and ad-free. The deal is awaiting approval of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors.

But the project has caused controversy, especially over how Google plans to track the whereabouts of those using the network.

The latest to stir the pot was a member of the San Francisco board of supervisors, which will be voting on the project in a number of weeks. He was deploring the deal as political cronyism and suggested it needs to be reworked.

About a week ago, the American Civil Liberties Union and two other San Francisco-based agencies said the plans are rife with privacy invasion problems, and asked the city to restructure the deal to appease the concerns.

For instance, the free service forces users to provide information that would let Google track their whereabouts, plus other details like an e-mail address. The geotracking, especially, could also be used by police, the letter adds.

In a statement, Google wrote that the user authentication proposed requires only an e-mail address and password and is only to prevent network abuse such as spamming.

"Google WiFi will not store the content of any of our users' online communications or data transfers and Google employees do not access the content of any communications or files users send or receive," the statement continued.

As Google has put it in the past, the geotracking is merely an advertising gimmick, not a Big Brother technique.

The economic and social benefits of free wireless Internet access are beyond reproach, and even the harshest critics laud Google and EarthLink for their intentions. The two are now engaged, for better or worse, in the hardest part of the project: closing the deal.

How this all plays out may impact Google/EarthLink's future endeavors, and those of other municipal wireless networks in the making.
    Sign me up, Spotty
    20.00%
    ACK!
    40.00%
    I'll wrap mine in foil, thanks
    40.00%
    I don't know what I am - Pekka

Google Wi-Fi = GWF = George W Fudge!

The Iran connection!! Yellow Cake!

Comment

mmmmmm fudge
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I really wish Google would just hurry up and take over the world already.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

It shoul be ok, as long as Google is careful not to duplicate the entire text every time you quote someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
            It shoul be ok, as long as Google is careful not to duplicate the entire text every time you quote someone.
            I hate that too. It's like they're trying to tell you something
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Personally, I dunno.

Generally, I have this eerie, benign and benificent image of Google. It's gotta be the most useful site on the 'net, I think their business plan rocks and as long as I don't consider China, my cerebral implant sends me warm fuzzy feelings when I think about them.

But why would I trust any company with that much personal information at it's disposal?

Comment

Turrents r kOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

You will regret those words!!!
                  "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Like you regret eating that chicken today?
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                      You're referring to the OP?

Sorry, I'm never too sure whether to edit someone ele's article. And I figure it saves people the trouble of waiting to be forwarded to another site.

But, if you disagree, you're free to express your opinion... until the Rapture comes.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                        You will regret those words!!!
                        Muahaha!!!!

It's too late! The word is out. Your evil plan is foiled once again.

Comment

You are indeed correct, Nullius.

Now what about that shoul.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthy
                            Google Wi-Fi = GWF = George W Fudge!

The Iran connection!! Yellow Cake!
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I think it was a bit too highbrow for most of the rest though.

Comment

Working...
                              X