Hardware Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Advice

Need a new HDD. What do you recon? Maxtor or Seagate?

Cast your votes here but its prefer explanations of why one is better then the other.

Cheers
    Maxtor
    46.15%
    Seagate
    38.46%
    Banana
    15.38%
    (+1)

I think Seagates come with a longer warranty. The failure rates on drives are so low that any significant difference between different manufacturers is anecdotal, methinks.
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Seagate of course.
      be free

Comment

Do whatever one is cheaper..

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I have an external Seagate and it's awesome.

Comment

Get one with a bigger buffer.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Seagate is definitely a cooler name.
              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                Seagate is definitely a cooler name.
                Blasphemy! Banana is the coolest name.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Igot a maxtor in the end cos that was all the shop had. Typical Denmark
                  (+1)

Comment

What? They've only got one computer shop in your city?

Comment

I favour hammers when it comes to hardware.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by spartak
                        Igot a maxtor in the end cos that was all the shop had. Typical Denmark
                        Congratulations. You just bought a drive from Seagate.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

All hard drives are of equal crappiness. Its really a hit or miss when you get the drive if its decent. Quality control has hit the fan awhile back IMO. They can make bigger drives cheaper but its not uncommon to find bad blocks out the rear on new drives a few weeks in.

I used to work in a call center replacing failed hard drives, 80 pin server drives that have higher quality then the sata/ide ones and they were still crap. At least with scsi you have verification tools that prove it, scanning for media defects at the hardware level.

I have a couple maxtor scsi drives, some ibm scsi drives, a maxtor and two seagate sata drives on my desk, all crap needing rma'ed.

Its easier to pick the 'good' brand when you haven’t seen a sh*tload of dead drives from every brand out there of varying platforms. Hitachi, Seagate, Western Digital, Maxtor, IBM.

I'm just bitter because the 120g WD IDE drive I got less then a month ago is now spitting up corrupt files and orphan segments along with bad blocks and I just installed my OS on it Saturday.

I think I'm just going to go out and get another SATA drive to go with the only good drive in my system and setup a Raid 1 for my OS. I have no faith in untested drives.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                            Congratulations. You just bought a drive from Seagate.
                            Amusingly enough, yes, this poll is meaningless. Seagate acquired Maxtor a couple of months ago.
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Oh.
                              (+1)

Comment

Working...
                              X