McAfee Security Center Updates help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McAfee Security Center Updates help

I have a Dell Dimension E510 with windows media center 2005 and it came with a McAfee trial period which ran out but I keep getting alerts to goto McAfee for downloading something. I've disabled the damn alerts in the configure box but I still get the alerts. I wouldn't complain but it pops up while I'm playing Civ 4 and it interupts the game to goto the desktop screen. How do I disable these alerts?

Why not just uninstall McAfee?
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

That'd probably work.

I haven't used McAfee since I got a year of it beginning in February...which ended in May. I repeated asked them what kind of year runs for only 3 months, but could never get a response.

Comment

I have a friend who had the exact same problem. For some unfathomable reason, because he couldn't get the alerts to stop, he opted to - rather than uninstalling - reformat his hard drive.

Yeah, uninstalling is probably your best option. For new virus scanning that's free, I recommend AVG, easily found online.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

I've heard good things about AVG as well. From one of my computer tech friends.

Comment

I brought a similar set-up a few months ago. One of the first things I did was uninstall all of the crap they loaded onto the PC (including the McAfee trial, AOL, Netscape, ad nausem). Never had any problems after that.
            (I already own a copy of Norton Systemworks and Internet Security anyway)
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

As time goes on, I'm increasingly puzzled as to why people would need anti-virus software in the first place. I've never had a virus scanner installed, and in 8 years of being online, I've had all of one single virus, the msblast one a few years back, which didn't do any damage and was quite easily dealt with.

Why do people continue to pursue anti-virus software? Is it out of old habit, or do you really have that much trouble staying clear of vira?

Comment

How do you know how many you really had?
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                X