Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the odds?

Police bullet lands perfectly in suspect's gun

SEATTLE (AP) — Police fired a bullet directly into one of the chambers of a gun wielded by an angry man as they shot him to death in a confrontation at a bus stop, authorities said.

The man never fired his gun, but the fluke police shot showed he was aiming it, said Deputy Police Chief Clark S. Kimerer.

“Physically, I believe, it is impossible to conclude anything other than the fact that the suspect was pointing a weapon directly at the officers,” Kimerer said.

Police said the 18-year-old man became belligerent after a fight with his girlfriend on Tuesday and raised his gun at officers responding to a call from a concerned storekeeper. Authorities said they ordered the man to put his gun down, but he refused.

Officers fired a total of about four shots from their .40-caliber Glock handguns, authorities said. One of their bullets entered one of the chambers of the man’s .38-caliber revolver, shoving the bullet inside backwards, said Kimerer.

“I’ve not seen anything quite like that in my 24 years,” Kimerer told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

The man’s name was being withheld because family had not been notified, according to the King County medical examiner’s office.

Both officers were placed on paid leave, a standard procedure in shootings involving law enforcement personnel.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Very, very, very low.

Wow.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

A total of about four shots.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Give or take 20 shots.

Comment

I'd say the odds are about 1 in 4.

And how can a .40 cal fit in a .38?

Comment

It would have been even more astounding if there had been a quintuple richochet first.

Comment

and the suspects gun was still in his pocket!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                Looks like a case for the MYTHBUSTERS (God, I that show!)

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                  I'd say the odds are about 1 in 4.

TEH MAGIC BULLET!

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

That was my first thought but the source is AP...

I'm not sure they could 'test' this anyway.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                      At that speed the bullet behaves like a fluid when it hits an obstruction
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

That was my first thought but the source is AP...

I'm not sure they could 'test' this anyway.
                        I think you could probably set the two guns ~40 cm apart with enough accuracy to be within a milimeter of center-to-center. That should be good enough.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Great show. The Discovery Channel rocks. I'm such a geek.

-Arrian
                          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

William Tell, eat your heart out. You've been bested.
                            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Ironically, the last show I saw, they were attempting to dublicate Robin Hood's mythical spitting of the arrow.

For this one, all they have to do is replace the arrows with guns, and turn one around.

Comment

Working...
                              X