X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction Begins at Ground Zero

By AMY WESTFELDT, Associated Press Writer
    13 minutes ago

NEW YORK - After months of disputes over the future of ground zero, state and city officials finally brought in the heavy equipment and began construction Thursday on the 1,776-foot Freedom Tower that will rise on the site of the World Trade Center.

"It is going to be a symbol of our freedom and independence," Gov. George Pataki said after three yellow construction trucks — driven by workers wearing hard hats emblazoned with the American flag and the words "Freedom Tower, World Trade Center" — rolled down a ramp to applause from politicians.

The project has been held up by bickering between city and state agencies and the project's chief developer, and by objections, mostly from Sept. 11 family members, to the design of the trade center memorial.

But a breakthrough came this week when the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which owns the site, reached an agreement with developer Larry Silverstein, who held the lease on the twin towers.

The agency had been pressing Silverstein to give up control over the $2.1 billion Freedom Tower, for fear he would not have the financial means to complete the project. Silverman agreed to surrender control of the skyscraper and a second building, but will build three other office towers at ground zero.

The Freedom Tower is scheduled to open in 2011, and officials said Wednesday's deal means all five towers could be built by 2012. Construction has also begun on the memorial.

The project will return millions of square feet of office space, shops and people to downtown's financial district.

"Everybody had a smile on their face and everybody understands — if you're not happy with the design, you had your chance, if you're not happy with the deal, you had your chance," Mayor Michael Bloomberg said. "We've finally all come together and said what we're going to do, so now we're going to do it."

Business and civic leaders have wondered whether there is demand for that much office space downtown, and said that the Freedom Tower has not attracted tenants yet because of its height and its potential as a terrorist target.

But Pataki said: "We are not going to just build low in the face of a war against terror."

Like the World Trade Center, the tower will reach 1,362 feet into the sky. But an illuminated spire will stretch the building to the symbolic 1,776 feet envisioned in the original Freedom Tower design. That's taller than any building in existence, although even taller skyscrapers are planned in Chicago and the United Arab Emirates.

Thursday was the second time officials tried to start construction on the tower, which has been designed three times. Architect Daniel Libeskind drew the first Freedom Tower, a twisting glass skyscraper with an off-center spire meant to evoke the Statue of Liberty.

David Childs produced a sleeker version of Libeskind's design, then reworked it again last year after police expressed concerns that the building was not sturdy enough to withstand a truck bomb.

Politicians broke ground on July 4, 2004, with a 20-ton granite cornerstone that has remained encased in blue plywood at the site since construction stalled.

Crews began relocating utilities around the Freedom Tower site weeks ago, and plan to do other work to prepare to lay the foundation over the next month.

Officials said they do not expect any major changes to the Freedom Tower's design or construction schedule now that the Port Authority is taking over

But Childs said the price is likely to go up because of the rising cost of steel and concrete.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

sveet

anytime a giant phalic symbol is erected I am reminded of how male dominant this society is... and laugh
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      sveet

anytime a giant phalic symbol is erected I am reminded of how male dominant this society is... and laugh
      You think it's male dominant until your wife makes you sleep on the couch after a bad argument/fight.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Simulations/pictures of the building?

Comment

sorry, it's a family site
          Monkey!!!

Comment

The freedom tower?

you've got to be kidding lol!
            "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
            "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

odd construction. the top part looks like it's there just for show
              "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
              "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

it's there to prevent airplanes from flying into it and causing it to fall in on itself

i wonder what sq. footage it's giving
                Monkey!!!

Comment

It's there because the some idiots decided that the symbolism of having a tower exactly 1776 ft. high was just too good to pass up. And the "Freedom Tower" is simply the stupidest name I've ever heard, but I guess there's a segment of Americans that wish it was called the "God Bless America Tower" located at #1 USA! Freedom and Liberty Way, at the corner of Sweet Eagle Patriot Freedom Drive.
                  "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                  "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                  "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

In ten years or so there's going to have to be a snopes.com page explaining that "contrary to popular belief, Freedom Tower wasn't originally called French Fries Tower".

Comment

It's actually an excellent name. At least that name sounds good
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                        sveet

Just imagine if Disney would volunteer to build two extra Epcot Centers at the base, maybe to serve as visitors' centers.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Freedom Tower Facts
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

The Freedom Tower: What a waste of building and design opportunity.
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Let's see your plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X