Bookies, biased punters and calculating odds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bookies, biased punters and calculating odds

At a bookies, you usually see an original assessed probability which is continually corrected as punters stakes are placed. What happens though, when stakes are placed without due regard for realistic probabilities, due to the bias of the people betting?

For example, in England you may expect to see more people, say 60:40, to bet on England to win than to lose even though the probability may be 50:50. I think it can be shown (my maths may be dodgy) that a bookie can make a profit over the longer term of about 1% of stakes by offering odds of 55:45 in such a scenario. If such a scenario existed a person betting against England would be onto a winner as well. Of course, bookies change odds to make total probabilities around 105-110%. This may mean odds of 58:48 are offered, but even then the person who bets against is getting better odds than true probabilities would suggest.

What I would like to know is does this happen empirically. Are there occasions when bias is significant enough to make bets better than they should be?
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

You'll have to do the maths and assess the probability...are you going to put your life savings on this one?
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Oh, I ask the question because I note that England are 2nd favourite to win the World Cup according to WillHill.co.uk. I can't believe that England truly are second favourites in the world of real probabilities - but then again SportingBet in Australia also place England as second favourites.

Comment

At those odds, I'm cynical enough to bet against them Especially as the team are going to have a manager they aren't going to be able to communicate with
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

SportingBet either have, or expect, a lot of money on England. The odds reflect the market, the World Cup market hasn't settled down yet.

As you say, in England always back against England or English clubs in Europe, you get "false" odds.

EDIT: I used "ergo" in the original post, what a tosser! Now deleted.
          Last edited by reds4ever; April 27, 2006, 18:19.

Comment

So I should bet against Middlesbrough and Arsenal in the finals of the two competitions then?

Comment

If you bet with a English bookmaker. esp 'Boro.

Comment

Working...
              X