No announcement yet.

Why did the US invade Iraq?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was talking about the US - and as we know that is all that matters.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Kaak
      I'm a stupid moron who blindly trusts FOX NEWS spin and repeats their talking points ad infinitum, no matter how little they work with reality
      Kaak, please read this. The UN resolution worked. Saddam did exactly what UN requested him to do.

The claim that US invaded because anyone in the white house was afraid of WMD is absolute and complete bull****, as should've been apparent to you if you would've actually watched the "proof" of WMD within Iraq presented by Colin Powell in the UN shortly before the invasion (instead of Fox news spin which, I could imagine from the way how some of you constantly invoked that speech, showed two seconds of him talking in the UN and then cut to TV commentator/spinmeißter who loudly proclaimed how Powell presented the FINAL PROOF that there was no doubt that Hussein had WMD): fuzzy satellite pictures of random trucks, conversations of unknown people talking about how someone is getting close to them, and forged documents which were proven to be frauds within minutes of their presentation to the UN.

Comment

Originally posted by germanos
        Because the US is the only country who stood up for the UN!
        it is amazing how people can sit and point fingers. The fact is that the UN passed resolution after resolution on iraq, and as a testament to their imputence, did nothing. The US did what the UN said it would do, and then everyone blames the US for failure in Iraq. I think if the UN wasn't such a failure, Iraq would be either.

But as to the post, I think it is a combination of the US really thinking they had justification, and your "neocon" reason, which I don't think has even come close to failure yet. Time will tell.
        See?
        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Also, I know this is bad, but you forgot the better there than here theory. It seems everyone who wanted to blow themselves up has done so in iraq. not here.

The United States is not the whole world, kiddo. Believe it or not, there are other countries in the world that still have suffered from terrorist attacks.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Eh, my current guess (and guessing is all it is) is process of elimination/decision by committee. After 9/11 we were pretty much obligated to respond with violent force to save face and make it look like we were doing something; Afghanistan appeared to have been "suppressed" because it crumpled quickly; so we moved on to the next available villainous-looking Arab nation.

We had a bad history with Saddam anyway, and most of the countries that might actually be encouraging terrorism were either our "allies" in the WoT (like Pakistan) or too damned big for even Bush to think he had a chance against (like Indonesia). Well, Indonesia is also led by a clumsy sort of democracy, IIRC, so it wouldn't look good to overthrow them anyway. Iran, being full of and ruled by Shiites, is a little too obviously non-aligned with AQ. Plus I'm told Iran would have been a real biznatch to conquer, what with the size and the mountains and a real national identity to unite against foreign invasion.

So Iraq it was. That's my best guess.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

You forgot the Vendetta Reason: Saddam attempted to assassinate, President Bush, the Elder. So President Bush, the Younger sought revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by VJ

Yes I know I'm a fool, and I have never actually seen you make reference to fox news, but it supported my point, so I said it anyway
                It's alright VJ, i understand
                "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

1441. Read it.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It's alright VJ, i understand
                    good

I have no idea whether you watch Fox news, but sometimes it certainly looks like it... it's really depressing when you just repeat ridiculous talking points and I can't even tell for sure whether you know yourself if they're false or not. Now then, did you read that post I linked for you? Any thoughts or negative comments about it?

1441. Read it.
                    I've read it. Now the question is, do you understand it?

Comment

I absolutely do.
                      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

nope, i didn't read it. and for the record, the only fox news i get is 10-15 seconds at a time in the elevator in the building i live in...It seems all they ever talk about is natalee holloway, but most of the time i can't be arsed to read the closed captioning.
                        "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

11: Bush miss-spelled the name of the country.
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                            1441. Read it.
                            Are you referring to:

10. Requests all Member States to give full support to UNMOVIC and the IAEA in the discharge of their mandates, including by providing any information related to prohibited programmes or other aspects of their mandates, including on Iraqi attempts since 1998 to acquire prohibited items, and by recommending sites to be inspected, persons to be interviewed, conditions of such interviews, and data to be collected, the results of which shall be reported to the Council by UNMOVIC and the IAEA;
                            ..and are you implying that the U.S. violated 1441 by not letting UNMOVIC and the IAEA complete their tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
                              You forgot the Vendetta Reason: Saddam attempted to assassinate, President Bush, the Elder. So President Bush, the Younger sought revenge.
                              There was also the Moustache Reason IIRC: dictators with moustaches have to be taken out asap
                              Blah

Comment

Henry Fonda Reason: 'I'm looking for the man who shot my Pa."
                                Old posters never die.
                                They j.u.s.t..f..a..d..e...a...w...a...y....

Comment

Working...
                                X