PC question of the day DVD-ROM's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC question of the day DVD-ROM's

I have a DVD drive that wont open the tray when the button is pushed. Since I need one for a PC I' m putting together I want to know:

What's wrong with the damn thing?

the tray can be opened (and goes in and out OK) with a paper clip. So mechanically it seems un-stuck at least.

Is it worth it to fix it?

Sure I know I can get a new one if I wait for $25 dollars but it could be something I can fix if I can find the problem -- and I'm a cheap bastard.

Does anyone have any idea's how to fix it/what to look for?

At this point it's trash so even slightly crazy things are worth trying.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

I sometimes have that as well. I simply restart the PC and then it goes.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

This is beyond a re-start.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

It does have power, right?

Comment

To the people?

Yeah!

It was a working drive that wasnt used much that just went kaput for no good reason (I have CD drives in other puters that are way older and still work fine). Your question does give me a thought though since the PS wattage is not huge and there was a buncha stuff crammed in to the case (2 HD, scsi CD-R drive, DVD drive, fans, usb peripherals etc). Maybe I'll give it another try with less stuff.

Comment

They're cheap enough to replace, and besides, items like this aren't really repairable...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Does the drive actually read media when it is inserted and closed fully?

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                They're cheap enough to replace, and besides, items like this aren't really repairable...
                Yep, don't be a tight-arse, just buy another.

Comment

If you do buy, buy Lite-On.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

DVDs are racist!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, not that pc

nm
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                      If you do buy, buy Lite-On.
                      nooo! buy LG

I have used them in the last couple of computers I've had, they've performed very well - and they're also relatively cheap (in Australia at least)

Comment

He's not in Australia, now is he, kangaroo lips?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

LG is good.
                          I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I got it going. For some reason it works fine so long as a disk is in the tray but wont open up if no disk is there(weird).

Once I got the drive going, I formatted the HD and re-installed the OS which of course WOULDNT RECOGNIZE THE ****ING SCSI CD-R (drive no 2) ! 4!!!!! hrs later all was well though, and I now have it networked and hooked up to my big screen TV.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                              He's not in Australia, now is he, kangaroo lips?

No. I pity him.

Comment

Working...
                              X