• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
    That article is hilarious. Check these out-
    What do you expect, it's a Cali link.

However...

How often have I heard Americans moaning that they can't afford to see a doctor? Notice you never hear that from a Briton.
    True. However think of how much we're all actually paying in national insurance - it's a fallacy that the NHS is actually free. Also I have several niggling issues I need to see a GP about but unless I want to sit over a phone doing last number redial for god knows how long at 8:30am, it will take me OVER TWO WEEKS to get an appointment - May 11th! I think I busted one of my fingers, but I just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it because of this...

Bull****. Further/Higher education is at an all-time high in Britain, and the spending on Nursery and Primary education has been great- I speak as a parent.
    Yeah, and they're churning out virtually innumerate illiterates - I also speak from experience! There was a time when education meant something, and it was called 'O' Levels...

This writer is on crack.
    Possibly so, but those incidents happened as I remember them. Things are at the worst I can remember and I definitely identified with the Despatches programme on 'yobs' the other day...

I admit I sound like one of those 'grumpy old men' but there has been a really noticeable slip in the behaviour of people in the last decade or so.
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I don't think their incompetence has reached the level of Louisiana's government yet.

Comment

You're right - how incompetent to expect help from the federal govt...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by GhengisFarb
            I don't think their incompetence has reached the level of Louisiana's government yet.
            I think we have a winner. I do think Chicago's government comes close to being as somewhat near as corrupt and incompetant as Louisana... but, in the end, it isn't really a contest.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

What kind of kook would find the article I posted 'hilarious'? For the most part it relates sickening tales of injustice.
              ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
              ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

About the whole NHS thing costing a lot of money...
                What did expect, rushbuying is always more expensive.
                It's gonna be awhile before:
                1. you catch up and
                2. things start to balance out.
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

A couple of examples of dodgy sentencing (which never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVAH! happen anywhere else in the world, right?) which the author has somehow manage to extrapolate into a picture of a nation apparently descending into third world anarchy. That's the belly laugh.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Alva, if you x-post me again I'll superglue your cat's bumhole shut.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS

However think of how much we're all actually paying in national insurance - it's a fallacy that the NHS is actually free.
                      I don't think anyone ever thought that. You'll still admit it's a better system than that seen in the US, however.

Also I have several niggling issues I need to see a GP about but unless I want to sit over a phone doing last number redial for god knows how long at 8:30am, it will take me OVER TWO WEEKS to get an appointment - May 11th! I think I busted one of my fingers, but I just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it because of this...
                      Change doctor. My doctor's practice will only offer appointments on the day of calling, so nobody is more than 24 hours from a GP.

Yeah, and they're churning out virtually innumerate illiterates - I also speak from experience! There was a time when education meant something, and it was called 'O' Levels...

It'll improve. Education for the under-12's has never been better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                        A couple of examples of dodgy sentencing (which never, ever, ever, ever, ever, EVAH! happen anywhere else in the world, right?) which the author has somehow manage to extrapolate into a picture of a nation apparently descending into third world anarchy. That's the belly laugh.
                        The writer has had a lot of experience in these matters - as a prison doctor. No doubt this has darkly coloured his view of the world, but laughing it off is a mistake.

Comment

Go on then Cal. How is our economy and culture collapsing?

Comment

Who said that?

Comment

the thing about the NHS, is that 2-3 times as much is being spent on it as in 1997. so the question shouldn't be 'is the NHS better than it was?' but rather 'is the NHS 2-3 times better than it was' the answer of course, is no, it isn't.

and something i want to know, is where is this 'whiter than white' government that tony blair promised? lied on a mortgage application, sorted out some dodgy passports for indian businessmen, well then you can be our man in brussels!

formula one boss worried about a smoking ban affecting your industry? well a cool £1million to the labour party and your problems are over my son.

pssst, wanna buy a peerage?

i mean things have come to a pretty pass when martin bell (the guy who stood against neil hamilton in 1997 as 'anti-sleaze' candidate) comes out and says this government is more bent than the last lot.
                              "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Everytime I read this thread and see NHS I think "Ninja High School."

Comment

Working...
                                X