Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should SitComs Ever Try And Be Serious?(Rant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should SitComs Ever Try And Be Serious?(Rant)

IMO, NO!

I think it's a crime to the art of comedy. To all of a sudden have an episode that is serious! Who cares if Wally is a pothead, at least it wasn't crack like we all thought! Oh, oh! Mom has cancer! That's not funny!!!

And tonight, Scrubs, the best SitCom on TV right now (at least that I watch) is going to try and be serious? Or so it seems!

Don't address serious issues on unserious shows, it's annoying. Address real world problems, like lesbianism, racism, and alcoholics! That's funny!

It's a crime.

Monkey!!!

Scrubs has been serious a lot in the past.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
      Scrubs has been serious a lot in the past.
      Ditto. It's what makes it one of the best sitcoms on TV that it actually does make a serious point from time to time (usually at the end of an episode).

I got no problem with sitcoms trying to be serious every so often... as long as it isn't too forced.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Though there is one thing I do have to adress wrt Scrubs. Is it too hard for NBC to put it on freaking Hi-Def?! I mean, WTF?!
        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

My favorite sit-com episodes are the "very special" ones.

"On a very special episode of Friends... Joey has a drinking problem, and Rachel has the clap, and the character played by David Schwimmer burns down the Reichstag."
          <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Though there is one thing I do have to adress wrt Scrubs. Is it too hard for NBC to put it on freaking Hi-Def?! I mean, WTF?!
            That should be addressed in one of their Serious episodes
            Monkey!!!

Comment

I say yes. The best sitcoms manage to stretch the genre in directions where it's risky to go--and so, Scrubs's attempt (How I Met Your Mother is trying occasionally, and with mixed results, but it has a lot of heart and quite a bit of promise, I think) at doing so, I approve--and find one of the primary reasons why I like it, compared to all the true ****com sit.

Like Out of Practice or Stacked.

And that's what we lost Arrested Development for?
              B♭3

Comment

did seinfeld?
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
                  did seinfeld?
                  Seinfeld wouldn't have been able to work trying to be the slightest bit serious. Reason being that no one symphatized with the main characters at all. They were all shallow ******. Which is why fans liked the show and detractors didn't.

Can't make a serious point in that, because you wouldn't listen. Why would you care what Costanza thought was important, except if it was funny and/or caused him harm?

Comment

Aside:

IMO, the best Seinfeld EVER was when they pitched the TV Execs an idea for a show about....nothing.

Loved it!

-=Vel=-
                    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

M*A*S*H had many serious moments -- I think it made it a better show overall.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

depends on the show. Some shows could get away with it.

Seinfeld never tried. I loved the final episode. They could have went all mushy. In fact, it almost looked like they would go mushy with Elaine and Jerry on the plane. But in true Seinfeld fashion, they got away from that. The episode was fitting for the show. I don't know why people complained about it.

Other shows like Family Ties did have their serious moments. But I liked Family Ties. Though sometimes the serious moments had their implausibility. I had trouble believing Alex Keaton had a drug problem (when he was taking speed).

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                          Aside:

IMO, the best Seinfeld EVER was when they pitched the TV Execs an idea for a show about....nothing.

Loved it!

-=Vel=-
                          didn't they do that twice though?

I remember one episode they were at the main NBC dude's place. And George got caught looking at the NBC presiden'ts daughter's cleavage. That was hilarious.

And who says that isn't a serious issue. The issue of looking at cleavage needs to be addressed.

Comment

Once "Facts of Life" hit its stride, usually the last have of every show was serious.

George Lopez does a lot of serious stuff.

Comment

Yeah, but George Lopez sucks.
                              B♭3

Comment

Working...
                              X