Laptop Shopping Time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Shopping Time!

My laptop has officially, and spectacularly, died on me.

Now I need a new one. Money spending time!

I'm looking for one in the £500 range.* Any suggestions Apolyton?

*as a humble biochemist, computers confuse and mystify me.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Wait until Vista.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
        Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
        Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
          www.apple.com
          In the £500 range?
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse

In the £500 range?
            What's the point of buying a 500 pound laptop?
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

to do word processing and web browsing?
              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Take any computer writed Centrino, on the cover:

Search for a Pentium M! It will do the tricks for web processing to civ4!

Pentium M: Fast, battery life saver, temperature is low, so the fan doesn't always go on, easy to overclock and undervolt!

Centrino
                bleh

Comment

I don't think he could get a Centrino for 500 pound. And he definitely couldn't buy himself one of those cool-looking Macbooks.

Starchild, for 500 pound, you could get a cheap Toshiba.
                  Last edited by Nostromo; April 25, 2006, 12:58.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

500 pounds? that's no laptop!... to heavy
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                      to do word processing and web browsing?
                      Buying a cheap laptop is a bad idea. You want something with decent reliability and build quality, since the failure rate on laptops is higher than desktops.

People should go look up the reliability rating of the cheap laptop they are thinking of buying, and then work out how long it will be usable for. If your time is worth anything substantial it is worth getting a decent laptop, since you'll spend the rest in lost productivity and in having to get a replacement early.

750 is a better price. At least then you aren't getting a bargain basement piece of trash.

Smell probably make something quite reasonable for that, or Samsung or one of the other Wintel manufacturers.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

"Smell" laptops.

My Dell is over 3 years old now and works fine. I can't play Oblivion on it, but I can play Civ4 without any upgrades. There is a good warranty that at least fixes things when I needed it (which has happened only once, and wasn't the fault of the laptop even).

Comment

Yeah, laptops die pretty easily, so you want something well-built. I would spend a bit more for something you know will last unless you want to have to post this thread again in a year and a half.

Comment

My Toshiba is over 7 years old and works fine. I use it when I teach or when I work in the bus. It served me well.
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                            X