Plagiarism!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plagiarism!!!

Plagiarism, fake research plague academia,As China marks the World Consumer Rights Day today, the spotlight would inevitably be on poor products and shoddy service.,Chinadaily,Chinadaily.com.cn

Internet exposes plagiarism in China
    But punishment of professors rare at universities
    By Jehangir S. Pocha, Globe Correspondent | April 9, 2006

BEIJING -- A number of high-profile plagiarism cases among professors have roiled the academic world in China, shedding new light on a practice that has been quietly plaguing the country's university system.

Chinese academics have long been accused of stealing the ideas of others, but pinning specific charges on offending professors used to be difficult because of lax intellectual property rights laws and a culture of impunity. Now, the Internet has made it harder for plagiarists to hide their crimes, and many universities are beefing up their policies in an effort to discourage the practice.

Last month, Zhou Ye Zhong, a professor at Wuhan University in central Hubei Province and a prominent adviser to the Communist Party, was accused of copying large sections of a book by Wang Tiancheng, a former Peking University professor who spent five years in jail during the early 1990s for trying to form an independent political party. The discovery was made after excerpts of Zhou's work were widely published on Chinese websites. Zhou has not been disciplined.

A recent survey of 160 academics by the China Daily, an English-language, government-owned newspaper, found that 60 percent said they had plagiarized some part of their work.

While websites and chat groups devoted to tracking down and exposing fraud and plagiarism have made it easier to identify plagiarists, punishing offenders is still difficult.

Wang has launched an Internet campaign to try to shame Zhou and his university into acknowledging Zhou's plagiarism. But he is unlikely to make much headway. Apart from the uneven power equation between a shamed political dissident and a Communist Party hero, most Chinese universities do not have regulations against plagiarism and those that do seldom enforce the rules.

''The schools want to protect their own reputation," said Cui Fu-Zhai, of the School of Materials Science & Engineering at Tsinghua University in Beijing.

Gong Renren, a professor of law at Peking University, said university administrations are also partly to blame for the plagiarism in Chinese academia because they often link professors' salaries to the number of articles they publish, regardless of their quality. Thus in China, the pressure to ''publish or perish" is even greater than it is in Western universities.

Shantou University, in southern Guangdong Province, made a crack in the quiet complicity plaguing China's academic system by firing one of its professors, Hu Xingrong, in December after it was revealed that he had plagiarized the work of a doctoral student in media studies from Fudan University.

Chan Yuen-Ying, director of the Cheung Kong Institute at Shantou University where Hu taught, who is also director of the Hong Kong University Journalism and Media Studies Center, said she had ''no difficulty at all" in deciding what to do because she wanted the school to adhere to international academic standards. But Chan's decision to fire Hu, which spawned waves of debate about plagiarism on local Internet chat groups, was largely seen as the result of her Western-influenced Hong Kong values.

In mainland China, university administrators remain loath to take similar actions because plagiarism has become part of the culture, said Peter Hereford, an American journalist who teaches journalism at Shantou and who supported the decision to fire Hu.

''Chinese students virtually learn to plagiarize from their first years in school," Hereford said. ''Later on, many students are encouraged to plagiarize by professors who want them to get the best possible test scores in this test-happy nation."

Jin Han Que, 19, a freshman engineering student at Tsinghua University, said plagiarism was common among students even though they knew it was wrong.

With the government pushing to improve standards at universities, top institutions such as Tsinghua and Peking University are implementing a series of new regulations designed to punish professors and students who infringe on intellectual property rights.

''Any staff member caught plagiarizing at Tsinghua will be fired," Cui said.

Previously, the government had been ambivalent about adhering to the international standards for protecting intellectual-property rights, which it saw as being stacked against the needs of developing nations.

Now, Chinese researchers and academics are developing their own standards, and bureaucrats and decision-makers are awaking to the need to protect these inventions.

For example, when Cui and his research center recently developed a synthetic bone-grafting material, the government gave them a grant to help get it patented in the United States, where they soon hope to market the invention. But Cui said he fears that unless China tightens its intellectual property rights, all the hard work and money spent on his discovery could come to nothing. ''Maybe some other company will just take our idea, our formula and use it," he said.

Those fears are not unfounded, an analyst says. Stephen Green, senior economist at Standard Chartered Bank in China, said that around 80 percent of all property-rights violations in China involve cases of Chinese companies infringing on the patents and copyrights of other Chinese companies, not US companies.

Such changing imperatives are also changing attitudes in China. Hereford said that while some students ''still think it is OK [to plagiarize] because everyone else does it," the majority appear to be turning against the practice.

''When the shoe dropped and Hu resigned, they were supportive but also amazed that we had actually followed through with a faculty member," he said.

But Cui said the road ahead would be long and difficult.

''There are entrenched habits and interests," he said. ''A universal no-tolerance policy -- immediate expulsion, as you have in the West -- is still very far away."
    Having taught college students i nChina, I've seen this first hand and it was amazing how bad it was. Grading writing assignments only took a few minutes thanks to Google. I'd copy a random sentence into google's search engine. If the student's paper came up, automatic zero. I'd get through about 50% of the papers that way. The rest I had to read.

But I did notice that cheating was positively reinforced in the culture. Students respected cheaters who got away with it. It didn't matter whether the cheating was clever or not, if it got past the teacher (who often didn't care) the students would be admired by their peers. During my first semester of teaching there, I gave weekly vocab quizzes. They had to learn 5 new words and then place them in proper blanks in sentences I wrote. The cheating was rampart. I tried so hard to get them to learn the words. We had reviews before the quiz. I later changed the quizzes to every 2 weeks. I eventually gave up because so few students were learning the words and rather just cheating or failing. What a miserable experience, and the school administration was no help.

For science, I got to see two polar ends at the one university. First, I shadowed a graduate student to help him with his paper as well as learn a bit from him myself. His PhD project was to develop a drug to treat a common disease. Sadly, his research was lacking. While he had a lot of data that sounded good, it didn't take long to notice that he had no controls. There was no way to determine whether his drug was effective or not. Also, there was no study for side effects. He wasn't concerned because his mentor's brother was already prepared to start producing the drug for the market through his company. So the student's PhD was guaranteed. I quickly distanced myself from this group.

I later began working at the hospital branch of the university. Assisting them with one of their projects while gaining valuable educational experience. Their lab couldn't be any more different. Sure, it wasn't completely up to Western standards, but real science could and was being done there. The people there were bright and dedicated to their work. It was a pleasure to work with them.

Note: UR, if you're not going to contribute productively to this thread, please don't bother to post here. Thank you.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Rehashing endlessly the same tired old nonsense that nobody cares about - isn't that the very definition of what academics get paid to do?

Comment

omg, ive been saying this for years. the chinese are the biggest cheaters ever. in my chinese class i was the only who didnt cheat and i was the only white student.

youre not alone dashi, my friend asa taught in china and said the same thing.
      "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
      'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I do remember when my Chinese teacher in college discovered Chinese characters and translations written on a desk after class one day. They weren't Chinese since we only had a few, and they with me and the other cool people. Frankly, because our first teacher was so terrible the class was too easy to need to cheat in. A month on Ni hao! Leave already!!

The Chinese education system needs a lot of work. Especially the university system. Many schools were party schools without the party. I really felt bad for my students, because they were obviously wasting their time. They agreed.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144
          omg, ive been saying this for years. the chinese are the biggest cheaters ever. in my chinese class i was the only who didnt cheat and i was the only white student.

youre not alone dashi, my friend asa taught in china and said the same thing.
          I see no need to single out China. My students in Turkey were shameless plagiarizers and cheats. One even defended a friend caught cheating with the priceless argument that everyone was cheating, so it was unfair to single out the one who was caught!

Meanwhile, in the Philippines, it's routine for students to simply pay their (shockingly underpaid) professors for the grade they want. The students aren't even embarassed to admit this; on the contrary, it seems to be a way to brag about their families' spending power.

I don't know if it's a 3rd-world thing, a non-Western thing, or what, but it's way more than just Chinese.
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly
            I don't know if it's a 3rd-world thing, a non-Western thing, or what, but it's way more than just Chinese.
            When I was in a US college, cheating was quite widespread also. We geeks had no need to cheat, but we regularly discovered cheaters and turned them in. The usual penalty is an automatic fail, though a couple got a one term suspension.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Plagiarism!!!

Originally posted by DaShi
              But I did notice that cheating was positively reinforced in the culture. Students respected cheaters who got away with it.
              And DaShi denied being a racist. Right.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

i know that chinese americans cheat more than white students. and its especially due to the pressure their parents put on them. success at any cost even if it means not actually knowing what they are cheating in.

and i speak from experience with my friends in HS, half of whom were chinese american 2nd generation.
                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

My experiences were from China, so that's what I can ascribe to.

I've never seen a case of paying for grades. Damn it! I wonder if I should have suggested that.

Did know someone who was allowed to "retake" all his final exams from his 4 years there to improve his GPA to get into a foreign graduate school. He was a former student of mine, but he didn't need to retake my exam because he did well enough on it the first time.

Despite all these things, teaching in China was a blast. The students were fun and friendly.

Back on topic. Something I discovered when searching for articles during the Olympics. A lot of Chinese newpaper articles were lifted from other sources, some bits cut out, an irrelevant paragraph about how great China is added to the end, and the plagiarists name as the author. No reference to the original source, which was easily Googled. Even that Onion article was plagiarized.

I suppose some of this will change with a changing attitude toward property rights. Whenever that will happen.
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Re: Re: Plagiarism!!!

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

And DaShi denied being a racist. Right.
                    What did I say in the first post? Do you need to be reported again?

I simply described what I saw and was confirmed to me by Chinese friends. I did not say that all Chinese people were cheaters. Nor did I indicate that their cheating is based on any sense of inferiority. It's not like I refered to them as base animals as you have for other races.

So behave yourself.
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

When I was in a US college, cheating was quite widespread also. We geeks had no need to cheat, but we regularly discovered cheaters and turned them in. The usual penalty is an automatic fail, though a couple got a one term suspension.
                      That is the difference. The schools didn't care if students or academics cheated. In some cases, they encouraged it to improve the schools image by giving students better grades.

Of course, this isn't about the US, so why mention it? I had to make you post related to the topic discussed.
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Bye UR. Please don't come back.
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well hopefully the old saying is true and they're only cheating themselves in the end.

Comment

Not entirely for students. Some do go to foreign schools and work very hard. As I said it's a different environment. For those who don't, employers don't really care much about grades or even degrees. It's a just a piece of paper that is requirement for the job to keep the system together. Most hiring, as in most of the world, is done by connections.

In science, it will and is hurting China. It's hindering their own work as well as building a poor reputation abroad. This was S. Korea's biggest concern over the whole Huang case. He needed to be made an example of.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

When I was in a US college, cheating was quite widespread also.
                              Stop being anti-American!

Americans don't cheat! Or at least, white Americans don't cheat. Only people who are not white cheat. Only people in the third world cheat. It's a fact! All those white Americans caught cheating are actuallly Chinese pretending to be white. It's a fact!
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

Working...
                              X