Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20th Anniversary coming up

Chernobyl

First of all the actual death toll isn't nearly as high as greenpeace is saying it is. I remember that russian babe who claimed to ride a motorcycle through the contaminated zones. Her death toll claims were pretty high as well.

Not that this accident should be taken lightly. As the article states, it did release much more radiation than Hiroshima.

and as we all know this will lead into a discussion into the future of nuclear power. I am a support of nuke power, but to a certain degree. We cannot expect to power an entire country from it. Something must be done with the waste before nuke power has any future. And I don't support driving high level waste through the streets of Las Vegas and North Las Vegas to store the waste next to my favourite brothel. . I don't want hookers with 3 titties. Though that could be intersting. Seriously though, the reactor cores of my old ship are still sitting in pools in Newport News shipbuilding. Nothing can be done about them.

The point is nuclear power produced too much solid waste. Sure we save on atmospheric waste and global warming. But it's still too much waste.

whoops, this image is copyrighted. . Well thanks to whoever took the pic.
    Last edited by Dis; April 24, 2006, 21:36.

Oh, after actually reading it, I guess you're not a fan of Exccentrica Gallumbits, the triple-breasted whore of Eroticon III.

I still favor most power being generated by the nuclear plants.
    B♭3

Comment

There is some exciting new technology coming about though. I would like to see a push for new technology plants, and phase out the old behemoths.

We have reactors operating using 50's technology. In fact, the navy still uses 50's technology. The reasoning is highly electronic equipment tends to breakdown under wartime conditions. Though reactor safety control systems are still electronic. Though it doesn't look it. Based on the size of those units. Very old technology.

Comment

check these out.

Comment

Nukes are good for you.

Comment

I haven't clicked the link, but the one I find most promising are the pebble reactors.
            B♭3

Comment

shameless bump

The kindergarten is like it was 20 years ago. Children's toys intermingled with gas masks littering the ground. Apparently the gas masks were in emergency storage and removed after the children had long since been moved away. Kids and parents in the town were all told it was just a fire, and they would be back in days. They would never be back and their pets, cats and dogs they were ordered to leave behind, were later shot in a cleanup operation.
              As many as 600,000 so called "liquidators" were moved in to the area to cleanse what radioactive material they could. Most of them were young Soviet soldiers, some of them ordered to what was left of the reactor roof to work in shifts of 25 seconds to a minute to shovel radioactive waste.
              She says the sarcophagus was only supposed to be temporary. Today it has more than 15,000 square feet of holes in it. More than four tons of radioactive dust inside is now exposed to rain water and wind.

The U.S. was the largest donor pledging $200 million to build a new shelter that was supposed to be in place by 2008. But construction hasn't even started. And the existing sarcophagus could collapse at any time.

Comment

This is the important part of the article. Something you pro nuclear power guys need to take notice of.

Getting rid of a nuclear power plant is very difficult. It's one reason the USS Enterprise was not decomissioned. It was overhauled and refuled for another 20 years. But eventually they will have to do it. Not that the navy can't do it. It has retired many subs and 2 nuclear cruisers. But the Enterprise is much bigger. With 8 nuclear reactors and associated piping. And one reactor axiliary room that is potentially contaminated.

Civilian reactors are many times the size. It's the reason why we still have reactors operating today with 50's technology. It's far easier to keep them operating than to decomission them.

But an important aspect is neutron embrittlement. It's been a while since they tought us this, so hopefully I'm remembering correctly. But neutrons do weaken metal. Along with heating up and cooling down. This is why heat up and cool down rates of navy nuclear reactors is strictly enforced. I don't know all the phsyics, but I just don't think it's a good idea to operate a nuclear reactor for 100 years or so.

Until we find some way to deal with all this nuclear waste, nuclear power will continue to have severe limitations.

Environmental groups use Chernobyl as an argument against nuclear power. But even those in favor of nuclear power generation admit that not one nuclear power station around the world has been decommissioned successfully. It's costly and technically challenging because experts say there is no way to fully decontaminate the site from nuclear waste.

Comment

not that I expect anyone to read all 266 pages. . It's just to show that the problem is known. And it has been heavily studied.

so just read page 13.

Comment

Re: 20th Anniversary coming up

Originally posted by Dis

I don't want hookers with 3 titties. Though that could be intersting.
                    Every see Total Recall?
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

of course I seen it. .

Comment

I remember the days the fallout passed over. It was a scary experience learning it was better not to walk in the rain
                        "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                        "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Working...
                        X