Cyclone Monica - as powerful as they get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclone Monica - as powerful as they get

'The VERY DESTRUCTIVE core of SEVERE TROPICAL CYCLONE Monica with gusts to 350
    kilometres per hour is expected to impact islands of northeast Arnhem Land,
    including ELCHO ISLAND tonight. The VERY DESTRUCTIVE core is expected to impact
    the north coast of western ARNHEM LAND between MILINGIMBI and CROKER ISLAND
    during Monday. The cyclone is expected to weaken slightly as it passes over the
    base of the COBOURG PENINSULA before reaching the northwest DARWIN-DALY and TIWI
    ISLAND area on Tuesday.'

This extremely powerful cyclone menaced the far north Queensland coast as a category 3, crossing over into the Gulf of Carpentaria, a body of shallow, warm water, where it has intensified into a extremely powerful storm. It is now moving west initially over isolated small indigineous communities, but will move on towards the populated area of Darwin, a city that has been rebuilt following its toal destruction by the less powerful cyclone Tracey in 1975. It's actual route near Darwin in about 2 days time will determine whether this will be the most devastating storm Australia has known.

I agree, this one has to have quite an extreme force of suction.

Comment

There is going to be no end to the Monica jokes here.
      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
      2004 Presidential Candidate
      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
        Anyone got a cigar.... smoke'm while you got'm
        "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
        "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

This is the third big cyclone we hear about this year: is the media paying more attention to Oz or are the cyclones unusually more powerful?
          What?

Comment

yes

And while a Cat 3 is nothing to sneeze at (Look at what Katrina did), they do get quite a bit more powerful. The fastest recorded wind speed in a taifun was over 416kph/260mph.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Current map

It seems to be following a path similar to that of Cyclone Ingrid in March last year -

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                This is the third big cyclone we hear about this year: is the media paying more attention to Oz or are the cyclones unusually more powerful?
                I think it's probably related to the Katrina disaster and increased interest in tropical storms. Either that, or the Steve Irwin craze is getting out of hand

Comment

No, trev.

I'm very sorry, but "impact" is not a verb.

Macquarie Dictionary
                  impact -n.
                  1. the striking of one body against another.
                  2. an impinging: the impact of light on the eye.
                  3. forcible contact or impinging: the tremendous impact of the shot....

You might want to consider
                  affect, bash, beat, buffet, clobber, clout, crash, hammer, pound, pummel, punish, smash or wallop.

Just because americans do it don't make it right. Actually if americans do it, that's a pretty fair indication that it's totally f_cked up.
                  I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Terra Nullius
                    There is no noun that cannot be verbed.

Comment

No, trev.

Macquarie Dictionary
                      impact -n.
                      1. the striking of one body against another.
                      2. an impinging: the impact of light on the eye.
                      3. forcible contact or impinging: the tremendous impact of the shot....

You might want to consider
                      affect, bash, beat, buffet, clobber, clout, crash, hammer, pound, pummel, punish, smash or wallop.

Just because americans do it don't make it right. Actually if americans do it, that's a pretty fair indication that it's totally f_cked up.
                      Usage Note: The use of impact as a verb meaning "to have an effect" often has a big impact on readers. Eighty-four percent of the Usage Panel disapproves of the construction to impact on, as in the phrase social pathologies, common to the inner city, that impact heavily on such a community; fully 95 percent disapproves of the use of impact as a transitive verb in the sentence Companies have used disposable techniques that have a potential for impacting our health.·It is unclear why this usage provokes such a strong response, but it cannot be because of novelty. Impact has been used as a verb since 1601, when it meant "to fix or pack in," and its modern, figurative use dates from 1935. It may be that its frequent appearance in the jargon-riddled remarks of politicians, military officials, and financial analysts continues to make people suspicious. Nevertheless, the verbal use of impact has become so common in the working language of corporations and institutions that many speakers have begun to regard it as standard. It seems likely, then, that the verb will eventually become as unobjectionable as contact is now, since it will no longer betray any particular pretentiousness on the part of those who use it. See Usage Note at contact

Americans haven't been around since 1601, sorry.

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                        Sadly, I am giving into temptation:

The Monica blows.
                        The last one sucked.
                        May the citizens of Darwin forgive me.

Comment

Sorry. "Verb" isn't a verb!

Comment

*sighs

If only that were true. Sadly, I had to put up with two of the buggers just last year.

The "to fix or pack in" usage is perfectly valid, yes. But it's antiquated and rarely used. And somehow, I don't think Monica is planning to "pack in" a whole island.

ACK at you.

Comment

*sighs

If only that were true. Sadly, I had to put up with two of the buggers just last year.

The "to fix or pack in" usage is perfectly valid, yes. But it's antiquated and rarely used. And somehow, I don't think Monica is planning to "pack in" a whole island.

ACK at you.
                              It could fix the whole island however. From nature's point of view, if not human's.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X