Some real honesty from the Chinese government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some real honesty from the Chinese government

From the municipal website of Daqing, China, a major oil-producing city in the northeast, here's the city's official tourist guide (bold text added by me)

Located at the western part of the Son, neng Plain, Daqing is famous for its abundant oil resources
    and petro-chemical products. It boasts a variety of tourist attractions, 'Lich as bird-watchine, summer
    resort and horse race on the Durbud Grasslands.
    About two hours' bus journey (£Â¡Ã¨35) west of Harbin via a brand new road, National Highway 301
    (also known as the "HaDa Expressway"), sprawls the boom-town of DAQING , home of China's largest oil reserve
    and now Heilongjiang's second city. Daqing is a nice place in which to spend a day and is certainly unique in
    China. It's interesting in a quirky way, with road names such as "Calgary Street" and oil pumps, called
    ketouji (literally, "kowtowing machines"), everywhere. China's oil wells are owned by the government, but
    Western companies have a stake here as vendors of drilling equipment, and so foreigners aren't that rare a
    sight. The town has an older western half and the new, gleaming eastern portion, with a billboard of Deng
    Xiaoping gracing the entrance to the government offices. Buses #23 and #30 go from the train station to the
    new section of town, where the Daqing Hotel lives up to the boom-town image of overpriced rooms, liquor and
    prostitutes.
    There's no skyline in Daqing, save for some cooling towers, but folks are friendly and the
    connections on to Qiqihar and Harbin are constant; trains are many and buses leave every fifteen minutes from
    outside the train station.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Honesty in advertising is the law there. I remember seeing a billboard selling "below average" watches. This may be a good thing actually.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I reckon they copy-pasted it from some random travel forum.
      CSPA

Comment

It sounds like the locals are trying to drum up some sex tourism.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

GO 14 is over. Joncha won. Please sign-up for GO 15.

Comment

What. That sounds like fun for a lot of people.... I don't think that necessarily is bad 'advertising'.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Overpriced is fun?

Comment

Only if you get your money's worth.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                X