No announcement yet.

"Please come back" - Mugabe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cite? I don't recall that being any part of the 1980 agreement which ended white minority rule. I'm not an expert but that just doesn't seem right. I recall around 2000 Mugabe siezing farms which he then gave to his cronies (not poor peasants for the most part). I also recall Mugabe telling the whites whose land he'd stolen and who Mugabe scapegoated for all the nation's economic problems (problems Mugabe created) that they should ask the US & UK to give them compensation. That was just the thuggish dictator talking out of his ass though.
    Last edited by Dinner; April 23, 2006, 09:12.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
      If he wants some attention, he oughta simply talk about forming an alliance with Iran or Venezuela. Or cozy on up to China, which does business with just about anyone.

Gatekeeper
      Already doing that..... trouble is those three countries still won't give him any $$$$
      "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
      "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        All land was stolen by the current owner's ancestors at some point.

This was a little more recent in history. The colonization of Zimbabwe is only a little over a hundred years old. Conceivably, there are people alive today whose parents were the ones who were killed and robbed of the land. Definately people's whose grandparents were the victims of colonization. And, considering it didn't take place all at once, but occured over decades, there may even be people whose land was taken that are still alive.
        With WHO life expenectancy pegged at 34, i doubt it. Mugabes version of rectifying land imbalances is take it all and give it to me and my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          You forget, Oerdin, that the white minority was supposed to give up it's land, with them being reimbursed by the UK and USA in return. We (the US and UK) renegged on our end of the agreement. We broke the contract.

Kuci, I agree it was a catagory of stupid that reaches Dubyan levels, but most of those blathering on about Mugabe stealing poor, innocent white people's lands, have a fetish about private property. By pointing out that the property was stolen to begin with, and only recently so, (and is not ancient history any more than the Civil War is ancient history in America) it undermines their arguments.
          Actually.... the US and UK didn't reneg. they stopped paying because their local diplomats found out that the government was buying land and giving it to minsiters, officials and so fourth, not for th elandless 'peasants'.

I seem to remember someone saying two wrongs don't make a right (or is that white) in this instance.... No one denies the need for land reforming in ZW, or indeed the rest of post colonial africa, people merely want it done in a transparent manner and in a situation where the land is not just transferred but the skills also.

Comment

hows that, a tripple post do i win a prize.

Comment

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

200 farmers would have applied. I don't know what's worse, "land-reforming" the disastrious manner they did, or not even being able to be consistent about it. Like Chegitz said, wasn't it about retaking the land whiteys had stolen?
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
              X