X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess I don't understand your thesis
    Monkey!!!

Comment

It's not my thesis. It's a research proposal.

And it's about social engineering. Hackers. Stuff.

I guess you don't
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Social Engineering? WTF is that? Seems rather broad.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Phisher kings court your trust

Computer-based fraudsters are becoming ever-more sophisticated, using elegant tricks rather than technology to get at your money.

By BusinessWeek

"Lawsuit against you," reads the subject line in an e-mail that hit thousands of inboxes around the world last month. In flawless legalese, the message warns recipients that they recently sent an unsolicited fax to the sender's office. Citing U.S. civil code, its prohibition on sending junk faxes, and an actual $11-million settlement by restaurant chain Hooters, the missive threatens a lawsuit over the alleged junk fax.

"If you do not pay me $500 by the deadline for payment, I intend to sue you for violating the Telephone Consumer Protection Act," it reads. "If you force me to sue, I will not settle for less than $1,000." Details of the alleged lawsuit are contained in the document attached to the e-mail.

In today's litigious -- and digital -- society, being notified of a lawsuit via e-mail might not seem too unusual, right? Gotcha! The e-mail is a scam that preys on deep-seated fears of being hauled into court. Its target: unlucky recipients who may indeed be among thousands of companies that send junk faxes.

Spam sandwich
          The attachment -- labeled lawsuit.exe -- is a new variant of a computer worm called Bagle. When worried victims open the attachment, malicious code embedded in its text downloads onto their PCs, and then swiftly harvests all their e-mail addresses to send out even more spam. That second wave uses the victim's personal e-mail address to send malicious code disguised as, say, a Paris Hilton sex video, to friends and associates. (See "This Bug is Nasty.")

"This is one of the most innovative ideas used by spammers to target unsuspecting users," says Govind Rammurthy, chief executive of computer security firm MicroWorld Technologies, which sent out a warning about the lawsuit.exe scam in March.

As Web-based scams proliferate, it's often psychological cunning, deployed on top of surreptitious code, that is the secret to cyber-criminals' success. Like traditional con men on the street, Internet fraudsters need a never-ending supply of ways to convince victims to trust them -- to open an attachment, click a link or innocently enter personal data on a Web page.

Overpowering instincts, rather than firewalls, is the surest means, say analysts, to pickpocket personal identities and online bank accounts. "You can't install a software patch for a person's mind," says Barry C. Collin, chief executive of cyber-security consulting firm Threat and Risk Associates.
          Like This?
          Monkey!!!

Comment

DUde, I said on the second paragraph of this very thread what the field is and what the subsets are

YEah. Kind of like that, but that's not the technique I'm interested in or even the modularity. I'm only interested in techniques involving phone and face to face. And I've breaken my interest from there down to.. well read the thread
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I did read the thread

and I don't understand it
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Well, maybe this just isn't your field?
                In da butt.

Comment

does it matter what field I am in? I should be able to understand what it is you are asking for, but I can't.

You want examples of people pretending to be other people in face to face situations?
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

No I totally understand why you would be out of touch right now. You aren't familiar with social engineering and hacking.

Just.. scholar.google.com and social engineering (and it has to do with hackers).

Or check out www.kevinmitnick.com

BASICALLY, this is part of intruding into information system, where you get the information you need (to gain access ot the system) using the weakest element of security - the human factor.

Why should I try to invade networks and try to sniff your passwords, when I can just ask what your password is and you'll give it to me? Maybe this helps you to understand this particular field.

However, it's far more deep than that and involves LOTS of techniques. But it's about gaining access, intrusion, hacking. And it's different from normal industrial spy action, intelligence work etc.. I have no time to debate this, if you would debate this it means you want to do it for the sake of debate or that you have no full concept idea of this thing. So, I'm not going to go there.

SKilled social engineer can do what ever he wants. A good social engineer is always a great programmer and hacker, and phenomenal manipulator in real life.
                    In da butt.

Comment

I have no idea what you want either.

Comment

well then why the **** would you say that?

If you don't know what I'm talkinga bout, then you don't have any input unless you go and read about the subject. I'm doing a research proposal, so I need help with that, I'd be more than happy to discuss this thing into great details with all of you guys, but now is not the time. I need to do things first adn focus on this and not about debating or educating about it
                        In da butt.

Comment

in order for you to help me, you should know about this so I'm not expecting everyone to jump on board. Basically if you know what social engineering means before you read this thread, then you might be able to help. If not, then there's only a slight chance.

So, you know..

That's ok though. this would require lots of reading first.
                          In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                          X