I Think You're An A******

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Think You're An A******

WASHINGTON - Nobody expects to get a letter from a member of Congress that ends with an expletive.

But that's what happened when Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (news, bio, voting record), R-Mo., recently corresponded with a resident of her southeast Missouri district.

The letter ended with a profane, seven-letter insult beginning with the letter a — "i think you're an. ..."

Emerson says she can't explain how the offensive language made it into the letter, which otherwise reads like a typical response to a citizen's question about last year's testimony of oil executives before the Senate Commerce Committee.

"There is no excuse for this inappropriate letter having been sent, and every apology has been made to the individual who received it," Emerson said in a statement to The Associated Press.

"We cannot determine whether the addition to the letter was made by someone within the office or by someone with access to the office, but it is on my letterhead and the responsibility for it lies with me. A valuable lesson has been learned and new procedures will be adopted as a result."

Spokesman Jeff Connor said the measures include locking down all computer workstations when they are not being used, increasing the editing of outgoing mail and reviewing policies on who has access to the office.

"No one has been disciplined at this time because we are not yet able to identify the person responsible," Connor said.

The man who received the letter, Bill Jones, of Centerville, Mo., declined to comment when reached by phone at his home Wednesday.

A copy of the letter had made its way to the Missouri Democratic Party, which faxed it to the AP.

Connor said that Emerson personally signed the letter, dated Feb. 15. She included a handwritten personal message at the bottom: "PS - please forgive the delay in responding."
    At the bottom of the page is a link to the actual letter.

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

I'd frame it.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

work of art.
      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
        1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

We need more honesty in politics.
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
          2004 Presidential Candidate
          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

The congressperson should spend more time reading the outgoing mail written by the staff. Or stop using an auto pen.
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Not as good as this one.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I worked on the staff of a state rep when I was in high school. Honestly if we appended that to every constituent letter we responded to it would be correct more often than not.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Or stop using an auto pen.
                  You mean a Quick Quotes Quill
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
                    Not as good as this one.
                    That board has it's own Asher!!!

Does every board?

Comment

this is the rep from the town I grew up in. loved hearing this story yesterday. she has her job only because her husband died in office.

couldn't happen to a nicer *****

Comment

I once worked with the re-election campaign of one of Lancaster, PA's mayors (he lost), a US Congressman (he won), then later with Pres. Ford's campaign (also lost). As the only Ford person amongst my friends I was the butt of a few jokes but considering how Carter turned out I'd like to think I got the last laugh.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot

That board has it's own Asher!!!

Does every board?
                          Yes, they come with the vBulletin software.
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Are they all trained to say iPod's suck, and then get summarily locked and banned by resident URs?

Comment

He didn't get banned he's playing Oblivion.

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X