Gurkhas deploy to IKEA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gurkhas deploy to IKEA

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060417...n_060417182847;_ylt=AiJIJYQBVZgD8s_DKIHJKb2gOrgF

LONDON (AFP) - A team of former Gurkhas has been deployed on peacekeeping duties in Britain but the front line involves crime prevention measures in the car park of a popular Swedish furniture store.

Bosses at the branch of IKEA in Nottingham, east central England, drafted in five ex-members of the feared Nepalese fighting force three weeks ago after a spate of thefts and high rates of car crime.

Since then, not a single crime has been reported.

"It's true that there has been no crime in the car park at all since the Gurkhas came in," David Attle, the store's risk controller, told Britain's domestic Press Association news agency amid the busy bank holiday rush.

"Prior to their appointment we had quite a high incident rate and it's a pleasure to say that since we have had the Gurkhas doing the patrols we haven't had a single incident so far."

The team of Nepalese security officers employed at the store previously trained and served with the British Army, taking up jobs with a local security firm after their retirement.

The firm, Octavian Security Limited, has about 40 ex-Gurkhas on its books, according to company director Jot Engelbrecht.

Security officer Lal Bahadur Gurung, 44, a former soldier with the 10th Ghurka Rifles, based at Aldershot, southeast England, said his experience and training comes in handy.

"My experience of peace-keeping duties certainly helps," said Gurung, who joined the British Army in 1982 and was stationed in Hong Kong, Britain and Brunei.

Gurkhas from Nepal have served in the British Army since 1815, when they impressed officers with a valiant defence of their home nation against British invasion.

They have fought with distinction in virtually every war involving British troops since then and are renowned for the kukri, a curved, razor-sharp fighting knife.

About 3,600 Gurkhas currently serve with British forces.

Feared warriors enforcing the rules in shopping centers.
    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Did they keep the knives?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

We have Gurkhas locally as security guards as well, and I don't see them carrying them big wicked knives around.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Then they are counterfeit fake Ghurkas made in Chinese sweatshops.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
          We have Gurkhas locally as security guards as well, and I don't see them carrying them big wicked knives around.
          I thought they always carried the kukri. Hmmm...

They are small. There isn't much room to hide a big knife on a Ghurka.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

mmmmm ... wish I could get some of these to my DVD department
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Maybe they carry small knives that can be hidden easily. Not big, wicked ones, though.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

So Ghurkas are small warriors? Well, if a Gherkin is small....why doesn't Ikea look into their cousins, the Pikhul warriors?
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Reminds me of the Capital One commercial with the Viking Security Gaurd...
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Were they deployed in full battle gear and camo? While that would scare away most crooks it would also make shoppers think that something very wrong was going on at the Ikea store. You know if I saw armed soldiers stationed outside a store I'd figure that there was a hostage situation or a terrorist act in progress and I'd leave expeditiously.
                    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                      So Ghurkas are small warriors? Well, if a Gherkin is small....why doesn't Ikea look into their cousins, the Pikhul warriors?
                      Because Ghurkas are bad-@ss dudes.

During WWII, a company of them was asked to volunteer to jump out of a plane behind Nazi lines. The company commander was very embarrassed when only half of his men volunteered. But once he explained to them that they would be given parachutes to jump with, the whole company volunteered.

Comment

Oh, I know about the Ghurkas and their kukris, I just couldn't resist an incredibly stupid pun.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                          ... pun.
                          Opps missed it.

Okay people, move onto the next post. Nothing to see here.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                            Were they deployed in full battle gear and camo? While that would scare away most crooks it would also make shoppers think that something very wrong was going on at the Ikea store. You know if I saw armed soldiers stationed outside a store I'd figure that there was a hostage situation or a terrorist act in progress and I'd leave expeditiously.
                            They are former ghurkas now working as security guards.

Ghurkas
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Herr Gurka

The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Working...
                              X