Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should your nation use caning as a punishment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, starting a debate on this is Islamophobic in nature. All poll options aside from "Yes" is clearly disrespectful of the Prophet.

Comment

Not blaming rape victims for their rape, as long as they were raped in an urban setting, is disrespectful to the bible. I damned all you bigoted libruls henceforth shut up!
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

only if youre peurto rican
        "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I support corporal punishment.

Comment

I support TCO Punishment.
            "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

Caning can be useful for punishments to essentially "get the persons attention" as in a variation on Skinnerian conditioning. It is only appropriate for crimes where this would prevent them from minimizing the offense. Caning someone after their first DUI with no death involved, for example, might actually reduce the number of people killed on the highways in the USA.

It has been shown that physical pain can, so long as it is not routine, create very strong neural associations (read memories) with certain behaviors. This also shows that routine physical punishment is self-defeating, once the subject becomes acclimated it no longer works. Modern brain imaging has produced some of this knowledge, the problem is that there is no way to produce a research backed body of knowledge to further test the various implications of this. It violates all kinds of research protocols.

FYI, I was de facto cained in sixth grade, the only physical punishment I ever faced in school. By modern standards, due to my home environment (abusive father) I was an at risk student. It was a 3 foot 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch hickory stick, Mr. Comitto was over 6 ft - 350lbs (ex-steel worker build). and I had mouthed off to a nun. Funny thing - being disruptive in class wasn't worth the cost, and instead I ended up a National Honors student with mutlipel scholarship offers. As I said...
              The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
              And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
              Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
              Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I think only Senators should be caned.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Bending vagabonds across my knee and bringing out the birch? Sounds like an excellent way to spend a thursday evening
                  "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                  "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                    Hey, starting a debate on this is Islamophobic in nature. All poll options aside from "Yes" is clearly disrespectful of the Prophet.

Aisha might disagree . . . . . .

Comment

I'm pretty sure I had a different poll option for banana. I think a mod must have changed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                        I'm pretty sure I had a different poll option for banana. I think a mod must have changed it.

ya think...
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It was mild, Ming. I say worse things than that and get away with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X