Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I never claimed that they were. But, clearly, to assume that their record is fraudulent because of their divisional competition is absolutely incorrect.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• Nah, the Wings are frauds.
      Golfing since 67

Comment

• What does that make the Canucks?
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

• I just wish the Leafs were still in that division. The Leafs could have won the President's Cup if they didn't have to routinely face teams like Ottawa, Buffalo and Montreal.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Tingkai
            I just wish the Leafs were still in that division. The Leafs could have won the President's Cup if they didn't have to routinely face teams like Ottawa, Buffalo and Montreal.

:

So they would have been the VERY BEST regular season team if they could have played fewer good teams ??

If you would have said "make the playoffs" you would have had some credibility
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
              They don't follow the Flames or Canucks to American cities for the late broadcasts. They show the home game of a Canadian team.

The NHL goes out of its way to schedule Canadian teams at home on Saturday nights for just that reason.
              It actually goes a little further than that. I checked the schedules of all the Canadian NHL teams this year because I was getting sick of not seeing the Canucks. Turns out the Leafs played on every single Saturday night there was hockey, and every single time they played, regardless of where, they were on HNIC. Actually, the same is true of Montreal's schedule, and I'd imagine they were on the French-language CBC every Saturday night too (although I didn't check that, so I could be wrong about the broadcasts).
              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

• Quinn is toast.

The Toronto Maple Leafs have announced the dismissal of head coach Pat Quinn.

But, despite the team missing the National Hockey League playoffs for the first time since 1998, general manager John Ferguson will keep his job.

And, contrary to reports, chairman and minority owner Larry Tanenbaum has no intention of selling his minority interest in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, the company that owns the Leafs, Toronto Raptors and Air Canada Centre.

Sources familiar with the MLSE board say there is concern about Ferguson's record over the past two years, but also uncertainty about how much freedom he's been given to make decisions.

Ferguson, however, does have the authority to fire his coach and will make the move quickly.

It is speculated the Leafs will hire minor league coach Paul Maurice to replace Quinn, but that's not assured. There is enthusiasm at the board level, apparently, for a high profile replacement.

Quinn has never won a Stanley Cup in his 19-year coaching career, although he led the 1980 Philadelphia Flyers and '94 Canucks to the final.

He also coached Team Canada to Olympic gold in 2002 and the World Cup of Hockey championship in 2004.
                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned

Comment

• Originally posted by Kontiki
                  Quinn is toast.
                  [/q]

NOt that shocking. The Leafs believed they had a contender and to not make the playoffs was a shock. In that situation usually the GM and/or the coach become the scapegoat.

This time its the coach . .. . I have never been a big Quinn fan-- Until you win a Stanley cup I can't even consider a coach to be in the elite of coaching

(That may be a somewhat unfair measure if the GM sends you a bunch of terrible players so I would settle for having an reputation of exceeding expectations)

thought the late run could have potentially saved Quinn's job since people could point at how well they were playing for the guy
                  You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I look at the non-division statistics and see the Wings as being average compared to other division leaders.

Wins against non-division teams:
                    Stars 36
                    Hurricane 34
                    Wings 33
                    Sens 32
                    Devils 30
                    Flames 26

So the Wings finished way ahead in points thanks to the pathetic teams in their division, but really they're not much better than teams like the Sens or Canes.
                    They may have had a crappy division, but did any of those other teams lose two of their top four defensemen for most of the year? Jiri Fischer was gone for the season (nearly gone, period) with a heart problem - his career is probably over. Niklas Kronwall went down with a knee injury - he came back just before the Olympic break. Chelios wasn't supposed to play as much as he did - it's pretty amazing that he played as well as he did.

Legace hadn't been a starting goalie before this year, either. (Granted, it remains to be seen how he performs in the playoffs as the starter.)

Wings had eight 20-goal scorers this season, and Yzerman was back to his old self, playing well down the stretch.

So here's hoping the Wings (and Pistons) bring championships back to Detroit!
                    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
                    Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
                    One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber

NOt that shocking. The Leafs believed they had a contender and to not make the playoffs was a shock. In that situation usually the GM and/or the coach become the scapegoat.
                      Actually, some pre-season transcripts showed that Fergusson Jr. told the ownership group not to expect the playoffs this year. None of the Leafs insiders expected the playoffs, and firing Quinn is part of the rebuilding phase.
                      Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Oh, and to NYE for recognizing Boom Boom.

CBC were jerks to not air any of his retirement ceremony. They won't be getting my ratings for the playoffs. Atleast not where the Habs are concerned.
                        Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

• Originally posted by Guynemer
                          Name your terms.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I look at the non-division statistics and see the Wings as being average compared to other division leaders.

Wins against non-division teams:
                            Stars 36
                            Hurricane 34
                            Wings 33
                            Sens 32
                            Devils 30
                            Flames 26

So the Wings finished way ahead in points thanks to the pathetic teams in their division, but really they're not much better than teams like the Sens or Canes.
                            If the Senators were, in fact, almost as good as the Wings, they would have done an even better job of beating up on their crappy division.
                            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

• ???

Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal and Boston make for a slightly tougher division than Nashville, Columbus, Chicago and St. Louis.

Comment

• Fergie needs to be fired as well. He has this idea that geriatric players will win you a cup.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X