BBC's Climate Change Experiment flawed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBC's Climate Change Experiment flawed

So who has been putting their computers into actions for this one?

An interesting demonstration of the reliability of a climate model. If they can't get a model with such a high public profile to run correctly, what confidence can we have in all the other more obscure models. Perhaps they need Stephen McIntyre and Ross McKitrick on the team.

I wonder if the error had been a small one, it would probably not been noticed at all.

And this is what the scientific foundation of the man made global warming scenario rests on.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

I regret to announce that we've recently discovered a major error in one of the files used by the climate model. The file in question specifies levels of man-made sulphate emissions but due to a problem with the file specification, models have been inputting greatly reduced levels throughout their runtime. The consequence of this is that aerosols responsible for "global dimming" (cooling) are not present in sufficient amounts and models have tended to warm up too quickly. The file specification error is also responsible for causing models to crash in 2013 which is how we originally came across the problem.

Unfortunately, all the data returned to us so far has been affected by this problem. While the data is scientifically very useful, and will certainly form the basis of future research (it allows us to investigate the full effect of greenhouse gas emissions without global dimming), it doesn't enable us to compare the models' performance against real world observations of the 20th century since such an important component is missing. In order to do the experiment we intended, we unfortunately have no choice but to start models again from the beginning.
    www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

The sulpher model was added to the overall model in August'05 so no, the whole thing is fuxored. And science isn't about perfection the first time, it's about getting it wrong until you get it right.
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

zOMFG!! Fleming has accidentally let mildew grow in his petridish!!!1!1!

Did I get that right? I'm not used to feigned indignations.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

PA is grasping at straws again.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
            And science isn't about perfection the first time, it's about getting it wrong until you get it right.
            OMG, I must be a scientist!!

Comment

Damn reincarnationists.
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

From our friends at climateprediction.net, climate disaster has struck I regret to announce that we’ve recently discovered a major error in one of the files used by the climate model. The fil…

Comment

Dreadful! An experiment has gone wrong! Why can't we all be pefect?!
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                    zOMFG!! Fleming has accidentally let mildew grow in his petridish!!!1!1!

Did I get that right? I'm not used to feigned indignations.
                    getting mold to grow in peoples computers would be quite an accomplishment.

Comment

as to the model itself, if it is genuine then the answer to man made global warming agents is apparently man made global cooling agents.

Comment

In the words of The Inquirer

With around 200,000 PCs running the experiment non-stop for two months, it looks very much as if the BBC experiment is making more of a contribution to global warming than scientific knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                        X