• Show
Clear All

My general understanding of the origins of the system:
    100s=freshman
    200s=sophomore
    300s=junior
    400s=senior
    500s+=graduate

Of course, this is not a particularly accurate description of the actualy meaning of the numbers, but I think it's the motivation for them. At my school, 100s-200s are usually basic, lower-level classes, 300s are more specific topics, 400s are advanced topics, and 500s are graduate (600s+ are rare, at least in my college). Anything 300s+ tends to be primarily for majors, but specific 300- and 400-level classes are often not required for the major; rather, some number of them must be done as electives for the major.

Comment

Originally posted by civman2000
      My general understanding of the origins of the system:
      100s=freshman
      200s=sophomore
      300s=junior
      400s=senior
      500s+=graduate

Of course, this is not a particularly accurate description of the actualy meaning of the numbers, but I think it's the motivation for them. At my school, 100s-200s are usually basic, lower-level classes, 300s are more specific topics, 400s are advanced topics, and 500s are graduate (600s+ are rare, at least in my college). Anything 300s+ tends to be primarily for majors, but specific 300- and 400-level classes are often not required for the major; rather, some number of them must be done as electives for the major.
      That was pretty much the case for my undergrad uni as well. The first digit signified what year of schooling it was targeted for, although not necessarily limited to. The second and third digit was just an identifier of the particular focus. So, History 368 would have been targeted to third year students, while the 68 might have been the identifier for Brazillian History 1800-1900. Note, though, that it doesn't necessarily follow that History 268 or 468 would also be Brazillian History classes.

I don't think there are any truly defined standards across the board, but as a general rule of thumb, anything numbered 100 or 101 signifies the basic introductory survey course.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

100s=freshman
        200s=sophomore
        300s=junior
        400s=senior
        500s+=graduate
        That’s how it was at The Citadel.

However, unless it was course work like languages that went in sequence, after the first year people end up taking courses all over the place. My freshmen year I placed out of or had credit from AP courses for all the 100 level courses so I didn't take any, and ended up taking a 400 level course because it was only offered every three years.

Similarly, I ended up taking two 200 level courses my Senior year because they mandated an African American History class for all History Majors and I just hadn't been able to fit in a core Poly Sci class until then.

So basically it is just target level, though it is not a rigid structure.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Re: Questions 101 - explain the American system of assigning numbers to subjects

Originally posted by VetLegion
          I stumble upon stuff like Economy 101 all the time. Obviously this is some sort of intro class? Is it followed by Economy 102?
          Sometimes 102 is the sequel to 101, sometimes not.

Are you enlightened??

I thought not.

Comment

Roughly speaking:
            100-freshman
            200-sophomores
            300-juniors
            400-seniors

Chemistry 101 usually means garden variety basic freshman chem. 102would usually be the seond semester of the same class. you might have another series 111 and 112 for accelerated students or for majors students or the like.

Comment

Re: Re: Questions 101 - explain the American system of assigning numbers to subjects

Originally posted by Zkribbler

Sometimes 102 is the sequel to 101, sometimes not.

Are you enlightened??

I thought not.
              But if it isn't, it's usually a sort of companion intro class (if there are two separate intro classes, like in economics (micro and macro)), at least at my school.

Comment

Working...
              X