Black Screen Of Death??? HALP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Screen Of Death??? HALP!!!

Brand new Asus PCI-E motherboard, Athlon 64 3200+, 2 gigs Corsair memory, ATI AIW PCI-E video card, 2 WD 320 gig SATA HDs in a mirrored configuration, Acer flat screen monitor, Windows XP Pro.

Managed to install XP on the RAID without problems, or so I thought. Everything set up perfect, until the second time I turned it on.

Since then, the Windows loading screen is followed by a featureless black screen with a mouse pointer. The pointer moves quickly and smootly when I move the mouse, but there is nothing to click on and right clicking fails to bring up any kind of menu.

Hitting the Windows key does nothing; I tried "blindly" turning the computer off hitting keys as if the start menu were there but invisible with no effect, and cntrl-alt-del also had no effect.

I tried changing some BIOS settings, and repairing the installation with the XP disk, but there is no visible change

Booting in safe mode is the same, except with "safe mode" appearing in each corner.

I'm now attempting a full reinstall, but I woulde like some suggestions if this fails.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

You're ****outtaluck, buddy.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Is your computer plugged in?

Did you press the power button?

Comment

Maybe a problem with your graphics card versus XP?
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Can you do the Last Known Good Configuration Option?
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

He's gone, man. Thermo-nuclear meltdown, conspired by terrorist pc hacks.

Adios.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Did that several times, Ted.

Reinstall seems to have done the trick, but I still would like to know what happened.

Pekka, I was afraid the new card bought it, actually, but it seems fine now.

Kuci...

Own. Goal.

Comment

TMM...

Whoosh. It was a joke.

Comment

Reformat

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    TMM...

Whoosh. It was a joke.
                    Hence the reponse.

Comment

Discover the innovative world of Apple and shop everything iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, Mac, and Apple TV, plus explore accessories, entertainment, and expert device support.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                        Did that several times, Ted.

Reinstall seems to have done the trick, but I still would like to know what happened.

Pekka, I was afraid the new card bought it, actually, but it seems fine now.

Kuci...

Own. Goal.
                        Did you download new drivers from the ATI website for your graphics card?
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

You forgot to worshop the Bill god before you install XP the first time.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                          X