WTF is up with Fred Phelps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is up with Fred Phelps?

In case you don't know, Fred Phelps Sr. is the "head pastor" of Westboro Baptist Church, the jolly folks who brought us www.godhatesfags.com and several tacky protests at soldiers' funerals. Despite the name, the church is not actually Baptist; Phelps quit his local Baptist church in a huff after they refused to place more emphasis on hellfire and ***-hatred. He has also been described as a "first-class nut" by Jerry Falwell, of all people. Nobody goes further than this crowd in blind hatred of homosexuals.

They also dislike the Jews and have a suspiciously condescending attitude towards nonwhites in general, but mostly they hate gays (I am indebted for this info to Wikipedia's staggeringly large entry on the Church). They believe homosexuality is the greatest of sins or some such (worse than robbery, rape, patricide...), and that it is also sinful to not rejoice at the news of disasters because all disasters are a sign of God's wrath against the Sodomites.

Their psychosis goes above and beyond the usual pharisee-ism, to the point where it honestly baffles me. It's not even remotely normal for ostensibly straight people to spend that much time obsessing over gay sex. So, it seems to me there are several possibilities here to explain it:

*Phelps is a deeply closeted, self-loathing homosexual. I'd actually be surprised if this were not the case; I'm listing it as a "possibility" just because I'm not sure it's a sufficient explanation by itself.

*The man's frigging nuts. Literally, I mean, as in some schizo-type disorder. This would explain a lot, but he's suspiciously capable both of managing a community of several hundred people and at scheming for publicity. He's a disbarred attorney and apparently the church is kept afloat partly by suing everyone who tries to restrict their protests. A bit canny for a man totally separated from reality.

*Drugs. Supposedly he was charged a few years ago with pot possession. The problem is that pot is supposed to mellow you out. But he could be combining other stuff with it.

*He's playing the Cult Leader game. The WBC is comprised of a few hundred people, almost all related to Phelps by blood or marriage. They live in a massive enclosed compound in Kansas. Yeah, it sounds like Waco to me too, though there's no evidence yet that he's boning little girls.

*This is a massive surrealist prank, and Phelps is just an unusually persistent dadaist with no sense of responsibility.

Um...any guesses?
    Closeted, self-loathing homosexuals
    18.87%
    Insanity
    22.64%
    Drugs
    9.43%
    Personality cult
    22.64%
    Mad stunt
    13.21%
    Other (please specify)
    3.77%
    Banana
    9.43%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

"Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Comment

And just in case he is right, yay for disasters.
      I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Why can't he just be a man consumed with hatred? Why does something have to be wrong with him? The Nazis weren't insane. Just evil. Fred Phelps is just evil.

But I voted for everything.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Well, the thing is, the Nazis had something to gain by their particular brand of evil; they conquered most of Europe by being so crazy. Phelps just....screams at people randomly and continuously. The best explanation I could find for his motives was a nutty right-wing site alleging that the WBC was a plant supported by Democrats to make Christianity look bad. Not that such a thing is likely, but that's pretty much the only thing he's accomplishing beyond lots of publicity to no purpose.
          1011 1100

Comment

Care of Wiki
            In his teen years...
            By Phelps's own admission, he never dated, and had no interest in members of the opposite sex.

closet-gay
            Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

I don't believe the nazis were evil. I don't believe we have evil and good as opposite things embedded in humans.

I do believe the core of nazis were kind of insane, and the followers brainwashed sheep.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                Well, the thing is, the Nazis had something to gain by their particular brand of evil;
                Not when they started out.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
                  Care of Wiki
                  In his teen years...
                  By Phelps's own admission, he never dated, and had no interest in members of the opposite sex.

closet-gay
                  Also from Wiki

He became close friends with another boy, John Capron, with whom he spent most of his time.
                  hott
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Che, in that sense Phelps has been in the "starting out" period for about fifty years now. The Nazis got off the ground at lightning speed by comparison. Phelps's ideology is politically worthless, because he refuses to moderate his tone or equivocate to get by. It's like seeing a street-corner lunatic dressed in an Armani suit with a Rolex on his wrist; you have to wonder how someone so evidently devoid of reason has managed to more or less prosper for so long. I mean, L. Ron Hubbard was a schitz, a drug fiend, and probably sociopathic to some extent, but he had enough self-control to finagle a cult with power instead of a backwater embarrassment like WBC. WBC doesn't grow or do anything, it's just there, inexplicably continuing its existence with no function but to irritate the rest of society with its presence. Like one of Shakespeare's "fool" characters, only this time it's not a voice of reason.
                    1011 1100

Comment

I think he intentionally tries to incite violence against his cult so he can sue the assulter, he is a lawyer after all.

Comment

I understand a lot of his children are "legal eagles" as well.
                        "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

"legal eagles" ?

Comment

Lawyers.
                            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Okay, I just got what I think is a splendid idea. You know how Phelps and company like to picket funerals? Well, there are already various organizations dedicated to counter-picketing or surrounding the pickets to "shield" the funerals. It struck me that these people are going about it the wrong way.

Imagine: Phelps and the WBC show up at a funeral, "God hates America" signs at the ready. Predictably, a mass of bikers surround them...and then take off their jackets and pants, revealing speedos and bowties. One of them turns on a portable stereo, and the well-known opening notes of "YMCA" by the Village People begin to play. The counter-protesters begin aggressively thrusting their pelvises in the direction of the WBC protesters to the tune of the music...this would also work with thumping techno music or annoying showtunes like that "Dancing Queen" song.
                              1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X