X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EU to ban Islamic terrorism

'Islamic terrorism' phrase to be banned from EU lexicon
    13.04.2006 - 09:47 CET | By Mark Beunderman
    The EU is working on a public communication lexicon which blacklists the term "Islamic terrorism."

The "non-emotive lexicon for discussing radicalisation" should be submitted to EU leaders who will meet in June, according to press reports.

EU officials drafting the guidelines hope that the European Commission and the European Parliament will also endorse the linguistic code of conduct, which will be non-binding.

"Certainly 'Islamic terrorism' is something we will not use ... we talk about 'terrorists who abusively invoke Islam'," an EU official told Reuters.

The aim of the guidelines is to avoid the use of words that could unnecessarily offend Muslims and spark radicalisation.

The EU official indicated "You don't want to use terminology which would aggravate the problem."

"This is an attempt ... to be aware of the sensitivities implied by the use of certain language."

"Jihad" is another term under review, with the EU contact telling Reuters "Jihad means something for you and me, it means something else for a Muslim. Jihad is a perfectly positive concept of trying to fight evil within yourself."

The lexicon initiative comes in the wake of a row over Danish cartoons depicting the prophet Mohamed, which led to outbreaks of anger and violence throughout the Muslim world.

The European Commission currently employs 20 terminologists, one for each official language, to advise translators how to handle not only EU policy jargon such as "subsidiarity," but also sensitive words like "terrorism."

The EU’s interinstitutional termbank (IATE) defines a "terrorist" as "a person who commits a violent act for political reasons."

The EU is working on a public communication lexicon which blacklists the term "Islamic terrorism."

CSPA

The PC Police are coming! The PC Police are coming!

-=Vel=-
    (special thanks to P. Revere)
    The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Yeah, I heard it earlier this morning.

This should take care of all problems.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
        The PC Police are coming! The PC Police are coming!

-=Vel=-
        (special thanks to P. Revere)
        Now it's 1984. Knock, knock on your front door. It's the suede/denim secret police! They have come for your uncool niece!

See, this is one of those times when an obscure Dead Kennedy's song is so appropriate.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I want one of those Non-Emotive Public Communication Lexicons
          CSPA

Comment

But that's right. There is no Islamic, or Christian, or whatever terrorism.
            Terrorism is just that, a crime, not a religion or a politic or a country, just a crime.
            Best regards,

Comment

THIS is the answer? Simply place a ban on it?
              I'm mortified.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

How pointless.

Comment

this sounds exactly like something the EU would do. :/
                  "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Now, terrorists should be informed that they are requested not to refer to Allah before trigerring the bomb.
                    Statistical anomaly.
                    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Comment

...and if they will, we will fine them!

* silence *

...on the spot!!!

*standing ovation *
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

They must have run out of fruits and vegetables that needed their legally acceptable dimensions defined.

They're on to 'toe-may-toe, toe-mar-toe' now.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Daft, although I suppose I do sympathise. After all, nobody says 'Islamic stealing' or 'Islamic murder'.

Comment

Banning words. What next consider banning symbols?

Comment

The EU official indicated "You don't want to use terminology which would aggravate the problem."
                              So I guess calling the good people at The EU’s Interinstitutional Termbank a bunch of morons is out as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X