Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it good policy to give financial aid to liberal arts majors?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

All of the published psychology research papers I've read have seemed to be just as scientific as the biology ones.
    Perhaps they are misguided. It depends what sort of thing they are on about. If it is just behaviour, then that's fine. But if they are making use of intensional concepts, then I am sceptical as to whether such a study can ever be scientific.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Math generally implies rigor.
      But it's pretty low grade compared to an old fashioned classical education.

You guys crack me up. You go on about how tough and demanding your education is, but it ain't even close to what most students used to do.
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
        Perhaps they are misguided. It depends what sort of thing they are on about. If it is just behaviour, then that's fine. But if they are making use of intensional concepts, then I am sceptical as to whether such a study can ever be scientific.
        Both cognitive and behavioral psychology can be treated scientifically.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
          But it's pretty low grade compared to an old fashioned classical education.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            BOTH are interesting... it just depends on the person. I don't need to hear another micro v. macro debate.
            I have been in conversation with one of the few good macro guys. Prof at chicago and governor on the Fed. He agrees with my comment that macro people are weenies and micro guys, real men. He says the best macro guys emulate micro. He is a macro guy.

I also contributed on JDH's blog. He is a prof at USCD, but still has stunning gaps in logic and places where he does that annoying macro papering over a discussion thing. You know, the thing that Kidicious does, where he doesn't connect back to real causes but just blathers words. I love him anyway...but still. Sheesh.

Oh...and AdamSmith and Ron Braetigan are mico guys. 'Nuff said.

Comment

• JDH? im kinda a student at ucsd.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Aga,

I think there is a place and a benefit to a true liberal education. Part of the problem is that people think it is about being arty rather than being insightful (evil consulting word...what is a better one?) and/orexposed to things.

If you are really interested in thinking about the role of the undergrad university. I would recommend reading STOVER AT YALE. (Of course, this implies that you can think by analogy, can extract insights from a book written in 1920, realize that human nature doesn't change, and that (despite Kitty's scioffing on de Toqueville) there are good insights that one can get on American traits even from many years ago--that in some cases it may be illuminating.

Comment

Both cognitive and behavioral psychology can be treated scientifically.
                  Actually all of psychology is treated scientifically. Everything in my textbooks is well cited. Much better than some engineering and biology classes I have taken.
                  "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                  "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                  "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                  "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• Oh...and I wish that I had gotten one...

Comment

• James D Hamilton? phD UC berkeley? hes macro.

"Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• Talk about an active thread... way past 500 posts so start a new one.
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                        X