Real estate prices around the world -- the power of Craigslist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real estate prices around the world -- the power of Craigslist

It's pretty interesting to see how much real estate costs in different parts of the world. Normally, it's difficult to compare, but through the power of Craigslist, all is made clear.

I was surprised to see on craigslist that DC prices for a flat/condo were only a little over twice as expensive as post-meltdown Buenos Aires. Here's a 125 square meter, 1,250 square feet apartment in old construction for $170,000. (OK, this one has 3 bedrooms, but they are small.)

How does your area compare?

Here is the base that I use for comparison. A centrally located flat/condo in DC costs:

(a) 2 bedrooms/2 bathrooms (let's say 125 square meters or 1,250 square feet) costs about $400,000 in old construction and roughly $550,000 in new construction;

(b) 1 bedroom/1 bathroom (let's say 85 square meters or 850 square feet) costs about $300,000 in old construction and roughly $450,000 in new construction; and

(c) Studio (let's say 50 square meters or 500 square feet) costs about $225,000 in old construction and roughly $350,000 in new construction.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

craiglist doesn't have anything interesting here so I picked some from last sundays paper:

a) old 134 sqm - 5.345.000 DKK ~ $763.000 ; new 137 sqm - 8.300.000 ~ $1.185.000

b) old 82 sqm - 3.250.000 DKK ~ $464.000

c) 48 sqm - 2.295.000 DKK ~ $ 327.000

couldn't find any new for b and c - the center of Copenhagen is stuffed with old buildings
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Damn bubble! Hurry up and burst!
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So that makes real estate in Copenhagen a little bit higher than 50% more expensive than DC.

Interesting!
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
        X