Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France Retreats! French Labor Law thread pt deux...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France Retreats! French Labor Law thread pt deux...

Carry on...

well no one really seems willing to talk about how the French take away the upside of being an entrepreneur and magnify the downside of being an entrepreneur. With that system in place (and duplicated in much of Europe), no wonder they have trouble creating new jobs.

Spiffor says that you can fire people now with the existing laws. What he doesn't say is at what cost you can fire people (severance packages and such). It is the cost of firing that makes businesses not want to hire. This is creating a generation of contract workers and a 2 tiered labor system.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

France retreats?!

Noooooooo! Say it ain't so, Joe!

....and so, a new age dawns on French History

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

The French government just lost in the face of French resistance!
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Edit: and Pchang, nobody discussed on what you said because it is true. However, I think it is more of a cultural thing than an economic one. It is possible to become extremely rich in France (and we have quite a few fortunes that attest so), but plenty of would-be entrepreneurs are convinced that it's just impossible.

Also, the stigma against failure (when the failure stems from your own initiative) is prevalent in all spheres of society, and not only in the economy (I'm thinking about school, for example)
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

Also, the stigma against failure (when the failure stems from your own initiative) is prevalent in all spheres of society, and not only in the economy (I'm thinking about school, for example)
            Not very big believers in the "If you fall off the horse, hop back on" philosophy, huh?
            Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

it shoulda beeen titled "I want a lazy job like Daddy"
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

ils ont des chapeaux ronds, vive la bretaaaa-gne
                its ont des chapeaux ronds, vive les bretons.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

ok, get out of this forum now

L'Equipe ne se fatigue pas trop (Rennes favori), et moi, sarthois de naissance, je ne peux préférer Montpellier à Rennes.

Moderator, I exceptionnaly use a foreign language in order to help an European in the difficult understanding of a very delicate advice.

UN MATCH DÉCHAÎNÉ!! avec 6 buts dans les prolongations !!!!! Lacoufarde sauve l'honneur avec un triplé.

Les bretons se sont qualifiés pour les demi-finales.
                  Last edited by Lawrence of Arabia; April 12, 2006, 17:39.

Comment

Two years without any job protection at all seems an awfully long time. It's a year in the UK, and even before then it's not impossible to claim for unfair dismissal (i.e fired for joining a union).

Comment

Meh, and to think Brits have to pay for the farmers of that country.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Pay the farmers to not farm.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                          it shoulda beeen titled "I want a lazy job like Daddy"
                          It should have been titled "As Usual, The French Successfully Resist"

Comment

wo years without any job protection at all seems an awfully long time.
                            But even with that law, there are protections during the first two years. The only thing is the employer doesn't have to explain why they're firing you, in case of an economic firing. The net effect is people who're afraid of going to the courts would be stuck, but others wouldn't.
                            Clash of Civilization team member
                            (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                            web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
                              But even with that law, there are protections during the first two years. The only thing is the employer doesn't have to explain why they're firing you, in case of an economic firing.
                              Err, no. Not only in case of an economically-motivated layoff. The CPE/CNE's trial period allows the employer to fire an employee without hving to give any reason.

An employee could try toi go to the court, saying his layoff was abusive, but it would be much, much more difficult to make a conclusive case, considering that no justification would have been needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X