Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apolytonies! Rate this video card, should I get it? Yay or nay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apolytonies! Rate this video card, should I get it? Yay or nay?

I am not that knowledgable when it comes to hardware....

What do you think?

First question: can your computer support this card?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Second question: what is your computer in general like, in case the card in question is overpowered?
      Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Apolytonies? It's polytubbies! Get it right!
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

You seriously want a video card designed by Verto?
          Attached Files
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

My computer can support the card...... I have a half a gig of ram and my processor is an Athalon XP 3000+(~2.2 ghz).

Comment

Get a 7800 GS instead.

Like:

I just bought this 7800 GS:
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Would disagree with that, the 7800GS is poor in terms of bangs-per-buck. If you're going to spend that kind of money on an AGP graphics card, you may as well upgrade to PCI-X, especially since the kind of performance the 7800GS can offer will be even more mediocre by the time Vista comes out.

Bare in mind also that the 7000-series were designed for PCI-X. The AGP version is essentially a quick hack in response to demand, it was never something nVidia had in mind when designing the series; the high-end agp cards were always going to be rebadged 6800's.

The 6800GS is a solid performer though, I say go for it from the specs you've provided. Your CPU is going to start being the limiting factor when you get into more expensive cards anyway.
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Would disagree with that, upgrading to PCI-Express would mean:
                  1) new RAM
                  2) new motherboard
                  3) new CPU
                  4) new videocard

A terrible decision, given that AMD's new AM2 socket is due out soon.

the high-end agp cards were always going to be rebadged 6800's.
                  This is wrong. The 7800GS is, in fact, a G70/7800 GPU. It's vertex shaders and pixel shaders are clock-for-clock faster than the 6800GS, they run at faster clocks, and there are more of them.

The 7800GS outperforms the 6800 Ultra.

especially since the kind of performance the 7800GS can offer will be even more mediocre by the time Vista comes out.
                  This, again, is nonsense. It outperforms a 6800 Ultra, for christsakes.

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

This is wrong. The 7800GS is, in fact, a G70/7800 GPU. It's vertex shaders and pixel shaders are clock-for-clock faster than the 6800GS, they run at faster clocks, and there are more of them.
                    Precisely, the reason the 7800GS uses a different cooler to the 7800GT is that the former has an additional chip the lets the GPU (designed for PCI-X) communicate through AGP. The GPU itself was designed for PCI-X whereas the 6000-series was designed for AGP.

I wouldn't mind racing my 7800GT (PCI-X) against your 7800GS (AGP). Considering the faster clock and greater number of pipelines of the former, I dont think the 7800GS will compare.

Now I'm not disputing that the 7800GS is a faster performer than the 6800GS, but is it worth the extra £££?

Scan sells the 6800GS for £158.50, and the 7800GS for £210.33

You're going to struggle to beat the 6800GS in terms of mid-range performance, so the question becomes one of, is the extra performance worth it? Looking at your graph, I'd say the 6800GS is better value in terms of performance per £.

After all, if you're in the market to spend that sort of money on a high-end graphics card, it's reasonable to say you're in the market for a more up to date system (you're completely right that he should in that case hold off until the AM2 socket, or Conroe, and Vista are released.

Otherwise, he might as well go for a 6800GS.
                    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Converted that price for the 6800GS into sterling and **** me, fantastic value!

Asher's suggestion is almost twice the price for not a great deal more performance

Comment

Whats this AM2? I've got a system pretty much the same as Versayens that I was going to upgrade soon, I'm guessing pretty much a start from scratch job?

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                          Precisely, the reason the 7800GS uses a different cooler to the 7800GT is that the former has an additional chip the lets the GPU (designed for PCI-X) communicate through AGP. The GPU itself was designed for PCI-X whereas the 6000-series was designed for AGP.
                          I'm well aware what the bridge chip does, Whaleboy.

I wouldn't mind racing my 7800GT (PCI-X) against your 7800GS (AGP). Considering the faster clock and greater number of pipelines of the former, I dont think the 7800GS will compare.
                          What exactly is the point of this? The whole point of the 7800GS is a high speed upgrade for those of us still on an AGP platform and not willing to upgrade the motherboard, RAM, CPU, and videocard when everything but the videocard is still acceptably fast. It would be particularly stupid to upgrade when AMD's new AM2 socket with DDR2 RAM is due out soon.

Now I'm not disputing that the 7800GS is a faster performer than the 6800GS, but is it worth the extra £££?

[quote]Scan sells the 6800GS for £158.50, and the 7800GS for £210.33

You're going to struggle to beat the 6800GS in terms of mid-range performance, so the question becomes one of, is the extra performance worth it? Looking at your graph, I'd say the 6800GS is better value in terms of performance per £.
                          I don't see how you can possibly draw that conclusion. Notice how the 7800GS spanks the 6800 Ultra, and it's well known that the 6800 Ultra spanks the 6800 GS.

He is best off with the 7800GS, the 6800GS is considerably slower and isn't cheap enough to be worthy of his attention.

After all, if you're in the market to spend that sort of money on a high-end graphics card, it's reasonable to say you're in the market for a more up to date system (you're completely right that he should in that case hold off until the AM2 socket, or Conroe, and Vista are released.
                          No, that is not true at all. You're looking at about 300-400 bucks more for a reasonable system upgrade including the mobo/ram/cpu/videocard that would be not that much faster than his current rig.

Systems with decent processors (3000-range) and AGP slots now are best suited upgrading to the 7800 GS and then replacing their full system in 2 years, when the quad-core CPUs are out with 2nd-generation DX10 graphics cards. It would be absolutely wasteful to upgrade the rest of the system now just for PCI-Express.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                            Converted that price for the 6800GS into sterling and **** me, fantastic value!

Asher's suggestion is almost twice the price for not a great deal more performance
                            How can you possibly say "not a great deal more performance"? Are you on drugs?

The performance in modern games like Battlefield 2 is literally double that of the 6800GS, and it's not twice the price.

You're asking him to invest in a chip that will last him maybe a year with new games, rather than 2.

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                              Whats this AM2? I've got a system pretty much the same as Versayens that I was going to upgrade soon, I'm guessing pretty much a start from scratch job?

Just don't ask Urban Ranger, because to him AM2 doesn't exist.

Comment

Working...
                              X