recommend a portable mp3 player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recommend a portable mp3 player

This is a birthday present for my brother. I have no need for portable music devices myself. Haven't listened to one since I was in the navy.

I guess I will use mp3's off my hard drive for him (as he has no computer and has no idea how to use one). I got him a portable cd player that was supposed to read mp3's off CD's about a year ago. But that didn't work so well. So I would rather get one that uses those memory thingies. Like I said, I know nothing about these things. So educate me please. I'm also looking for the cheapest one. . Seriously though, I never spend over $100 for gifts, except on occasion.

And I'm looking for something not like an ipod. I want to play illegally ripped and downloaded mp3's (is there any other way to get them ).. not m4p's.

RCA LYRA... 512 meg(or 256meg) You can insert SD memory cardé
    bleh

Comment

I have the 256 megabytes one.(And I use another 256 from an SD Card). Quality/Cost is Excellent.
      The sound can be better, but is really good.(but I'm a audiophile, for many people, they cant tell the difference).
      The one I have fall SEVERAL times on the ground.... it never broke.

If you look for a good one, iRiver made quality MP3 with built in memory).

see ya
      bleh

Comment

"OTBOT rating
        Thoughtcrime Detected. Ming Alerted. Code Asher, repeat, Code Asher. "

Comment

Seriously Though, I Never Spend Over $100 For Gifts, Except On Occasion.
          What occasion? When you visit the girls in your neighborhood bordellos?

I Want To Play Illegally Ripped And Downloaded Mp3's (is There Any Other Way To Get Them ).. Not M4p's.
          You can do that with an iPod, btw. You can get an iPod Shuffle (1 GB) for about 65$ or the 1GB Nano for a bit more. Except for the Shuffle, the iPod's have the best interface in the market and they are user-friendly. The Creative models are good, too. I wouldn't get anything lower than 1 GB. I have no idea how cronos can live with 256 MB.

But if your brother doesn't have access to a computer, I don't see the point in buying an MP3 player: after all, they're supposed to work hand in hand with computers.
          Last edited by Nostromo; April 8, 2006, 17:54.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Nostromo:
            256meg buil-in, and another 256 megs from an SD card.(512 meg in total, around 8-9 albums).
            heheheh, when I bought this mp3 player price was REALLY HIGHER.

I check for a new mp3 player, I made some search from now:

Creative Zen is pretty good!! He have a really good sound.
            IPOD video have really good review.

see ya

Originally posted by nostromo

I have no idea how cronos can live with 256 MB.

But if your brother doesn't have access to a computer, I don't see the point in buying an MP3 player: after all, they're supposed to work hand in hand with computers.
            bleh

Comment

The iPod Nano is probably the best one on the market for most people's needs right now.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Except for the fact that the iPod practically requires iTunes, and erases syncs the iPod to an empty library by default.
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
                  Except for the fact that the iPod practically requires iTunes, and erases syncs the iPod to an empty library by default.
                  Go to iPodlounge.com. They have an excellent selection of iTunes alternatives.

If you don't want to get an iPod, I would recommend an iRiver player. They have an excellent reputation.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Aggie gets a code Asher. Awesome.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Ag: Don't get me wrong, the aesthetics, the interface, and many other aspects of the design of the iPod itself are great--it's just that they then make really boneheaded decisions like the ones I listed that really slay me.

For example, the formatting of the drive makes it difficult to read the iPod across Windows and Mac worlds; or that it's not as intuitive to add music or treat it as a storage drive...

...and let's not talk about the iPod shuffle...

===

Personally, I'd suggest a Creative or an iRiver player; I've a Creative Zen Nano (came before the iPod Nano, mind you) which has 1gb of storage; it's more than enough to have music that lasts the morning commute or the traveling commute down to the ATL. Indeed, it works as a flash drive; plug it into the compuhter, drag and drop, and there you have it.
                      B♭3

Comment

Working...
                      X