• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teacher Has His Hand Blew Off Hand In Class

Exploding ammunition injures Ventura teacher
    By John Scheibe, jscheibe@VenturaCountyStar.com
    April 4, 2006

Part of a Ventura instructor's right hand was severed Monday afternoon after he struck an object on his classroom desk against an old 40 mm round of ammunition while teaching.

The accidental discharge also left Robert Colla with severe burns and minor shrapnel wounds to his forearms and torso, said Tom Weinell, a captain with the Ventura Fire Department.

No one else was injured in the explosion, even though there were 20 to 25 people in the classroom with Colla at the Ventura Adult Education Center on Valentine Road when the explosion occurred at 4:06 p.m.

Colla was taken to Ventura County Medical Center, where he was listed in stable condition Monday evening.

"It was just a horrible accident," said Dennis Huston, who teaches computer design alongside Colla.

Huston said he had his back turned to Colla and was only about three feet away when he heard a loud bang.

He turned around to find Colla screaming, his right hand mangled.

The explosion sent shrapnel flying around the classroom, Huston said. One piece went into the ceiling, while another landed where a student would normally sit. Huston said the student was absent Monday.

Colla had found the 40 mm round while hunting years ago, Huston said. He used it as a paperweight and "obviously he didn't think the round was live," Huston said.

"He'd had it for years and years and nothing had happened before," Huston said. He described the round as about an inch-and-a-half wide and about five inches long.

The explosion also destroyed a computer keyboard, scattering some of the keys around Colla's desk.

Barry Tronstad, the center's director, said he didn't hear the explosion even though he was in the building at the time.

"I was alerted by the smoke alarm," Tronstad said.

The center is run by the Ventura Unified School District

Don't know what to say about this. Don't know if I should laugh or cry at some people's stupidity.

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

3... 2...
    What?

Comment

Already posted.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

He's lucky that it was defective - if it had "really" gone off, he would have been all over that room. What a complete dumbass.

"He'd had it for years and years and nothing had happened before," - yeah, well, nothing happens before it goes off.
        When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

@ OTBOT on MTG's post.
          What?

Comment

I know! Let's play with live ammunition!

:hmm:
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Darwin Award

at least Darwin Award for ****ing on the internet
                Monkey!!!

Comment

The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

It's good enough for two threads.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

* Roaches worldwide declare 3 days of celebration to commemorate this heroic accomplishment *

Comment

what, no video?

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Anyone who'd be inclined to keep ammunition as a souvenir deserives to have their limbs blown apart.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

how about this:

The explosion sent shrapnel flying around the classroom, Huston said. One piece went into the ceiling, while another landed where a student would normally sit. Huston said the student was absent Monday.
                            MISSING SCHOOL SAVED THAT KIDS' LIFE

missing school saves lives
                            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Sava
                              how about this:

MISSING SCHOOL SAVED THAT KIDS' LIFE

missing school saves lives
                              But mom, remember that time I ditched school and it saved my life? Well I had that very same feeling today..
                              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                              X