Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good news from Arkansas! (Minimum wage increase)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good news from Arkansas! (Minimum wage increase)

The Legislature is in a special session this week to pass a set of bills being pushed by the Governor plus more education money. Just after the Lake View case had closed, the Legislature refused to increase per-student funding in the 2005-06 school year. Dozens of school districts appealed to the Supreme Court to reopen the case and it quickly ruled the funding amount unconstitutional again. Thank you, legislating from the bench. Just imagine how ass-backwards we would be without it...

Among the bills are the school thing, banning smoking in all workplaces statewide, increased sex offender regulation...and a minimum wage increase which has already passed the Senate.

Ark. Senate approves $1.10 increase in minimum wage

By ANDREW DeMILLO
    Tuesday, April 4, 2006 6:47 PM CDT

LITTLE ROCK - The Arkansas Senate on Tuesday voted to raise the state minimum wage by $1.10, the first wage increase the state has seen since 1997.

By a 28-1 vote, senators approved increasing the wage from $5.15 an hour to $6.25 an hour. Sen. Jim Holt, R-Springdale, voted against the increase.

The proposal, part of a deal struck between legislative leaders and an organization pushing to put a similar increase on the Nov. 7 ballot, had gained support of the House Committee on Public Health, Welfare and Labor earlier Tuesday. The full House is expected to consider the measure Wednesday.

The Rev. Stephen Copley, chairman of the group that initiated the proposed constitutional amendment, said he was confident the bill would gain widespread support in both chambers of the Legislature.

"Our goal all along has been to raise the minimum wage and to help workers who need it the most in the state," Copley said after the House committee vote. "This was a big step for us."

Supporters of the proposed constitutional amendment, which would raise the wage to $6.15 an hour and require employers to revise the wage with inflation, reached agreement on the bill last month. They plan to pursue their proposal if the Legislature doesn't approve the increase, which would go into effect in October.

"We're still gathering signatures until this comes to an end," Copley said.

Bill Vickery, chairman of the Arkansans Fighting to Save Our Jobs group opposed to the increase, told the representatives that raising the wage would hurt the state's smaller businesses, especially those on the border with states that do not have a higher wage.

"We'll continue to fight this up until the last round," Vickery said.

On Monday, members of the Senate Public Health, Welfare and Labor Committee said they would rather see the minimum wage increased by law than have an amount put in the state constitution. The Senate committee endorsed the $1.10 per hour increase.

The bill originally called for those in the service industry who rely on tips _ such as waiters and waitresses _ to be paid 50 percent of the minimum wage. But after supporters agreed to it, the bill's proponents reduced that amount to 42 percent.

Arkansas is one of several states where groups have been pushing to put a minimum wage hike on the ballot before voters. Nevada voters will consider such an increase in November, and similar petition efforts are underway in Montana, Missouri, Ohio and Arizona.

In Michigan, a minimum wage hike was signed into law that will raise the wage to $6.95 an hour in October. The proposal was signed into law and passed by that state's Republican-dominated Legislature after it became evident that a petition drive to put the issue before voters in November was likely to succeed

Eighteen states and the District of Columbia set minimum wages higher than the federal minimum of $5.15 an hour, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.
    I love how Jim Holt was the only guy to vote against it. He's the one who said abortion caused the upcoming Social Security shortfall... This oughta breeze through the House, along with the education bills etc.

The one thing being fought at all is the smoking ban bill. I'm not aware if any other states have done anything this drastic: Smoking is banned in all workplaces public and private unless they fall under a very narrow set of exclusions (for example, an establishment employing two or less people.) All the appropriate committees have recommended it AFAIK. But in addition to the Republicans (who are the minority and pretty much oppose everything, to make a gross generalization), some Democrats are speaking against it as well. I would be surprised if anything failed to pass, but if any did it would be the smoking ban.

Anyway, there's good news from Arkansas - effective in October we get a $1.10 minimum wage increase...the schools are getting $100s millions more...exposure to secondhand smoke will drop significantly.

mrmitchell
    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

6 bucks an hour is still a pittance.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Horray for price controls!

I just can't wait until they increase the minimum wage to $10, $15 or even $20. No one may be able to find job but at least they'll have a "living" wage.

Comment

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

is the minimum wage indexed to inflation?

Comment

minimum wage increase are necessary. Provided you don't increase them too fast. If you raise them at a reasonable rate (equivalent to the rate the economy is growing), you should be okay.

But the republicans in the white house will never do it.

I believe my state is supposed to go up here soon. DDrosedars will probably know more.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha
              is the minimum wage indexed to inflation?
              On the federal level? Hell no. That would be far too fair and logical. The minimum wage is merely indexed to congressmen's whims. It's real value peaked in 1968; if you adjust the current and 1968 minumum wages to the same constant, the current minimum wage is less than 60% of the 1968 minumum wage. The current real value of the minimum wage is the lowest its been in at least 50 years.

Don't know if any states index it to inflation.

Link to US minimum wage, year-by-year, in current and constant dollars
              "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Ell_man
                Horray for price controls!

I just can't wait until they increase the minimum wage to $10, $15 or even $20. No one may be able to find job but at least they'll have a "living" wage.
                Yeah because Oregon (which IIRC has an $8 or $9 minimum, one of the highest in the Union) is an economic wasteland...

We've heard the same baloney before, and they probably heard it when the first minimum wage laws were passed a long time ago. If anything, it's good for the economy because it means more will be spent by consumers.
                meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

mimum wage isn't enough to live on currently... and I mean live, I don't mean have nice things...

people who make less spend a larger percentage of their income/wealth than people who make more....

so giving to poorer people helps the economy more than giving to richer people

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

That, sir, is terrible logic.

If we assume your premise that poor people spend their money more is correct, and we assume this helps the economy, which is generally true--

Then couldn't I argue that by making poor people richer, you're hurting the economy? They're not going to spend as much.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                      6 bucks an hour is still a pittance.
                      but its higher than the federal minimum, and only a few states, all northern ones IIUC, have higher minimums. Even in Ohio its a huge battle to get a min above the fed min. That Arkansas passed a higher min would seem to be something of a breakthrough.
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Smoking is banned in all workplaces public and private unless they fall under a very narrow set of exclusions (for example, an establishment employing two or less people.
                        Sounds like what we have here in CT. Maybe I'm wrong... but there really isn't anyplace you can smoke inside anymore. Which is a good thing, I think.

-Arrian
                        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

That sounds like a healthy increase to the minimium wage and it is always good to have more money for the education of children.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Minimum wages are generally thought by economists to increase unemployment. Because of this, I can't really be happy about the increase.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Dude, you're talking 'bout 6$ an hour!

Read that part a thousand times and maybe, jsut maybe, the penny (no pun intended) may drop.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X