Will there ever be another world war?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there ever be another world war?

I just can't see it happening. Not to say it's impossible. These things are hard to predict after all. I doubt anyone predicted a world war in 1919. But the decline of imperialism has helped alot in alleviate possible sparks for world wars.
    Yes
    64.29%
    No
    28.57%
    there will be a world war over banana shortages
    7.14%

There will be a 3rd world war within the next 25 years
    I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

details? I'd like to prepare.

Comment

The US, India, and the remenants of the Commonwealth vs the EU and Russia with China as an interested onlooker.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It'll be over the camps set up in Britain for 're-education'.
          Last edited by notyoueither; April 3, 2006, 23:53.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Seems to me the question is, how to involve the world?

The first World War was a "world war" (as opposed to a European war) only because of the imperial holdings of the participants. (The same could be said for the real first world war: The Seven Years War/French-and-Indian War)

The second World War was a world war because two distinct powers with non-overlapping imperial ambitions teamed up and made their moves simultaneously.

West vs. Islam could be a world war, I guess, especially if China is backing teh Islamic world in exchange for oil.
            "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

World War to m means a general war involving all the great powers in the system.

That seems higly unlikely. Modern weapons are both extremely destructive, and extremely expensive. I don;t think the same kind of long term industrial realignment of resources and manpower could be carried out to form and move around vast armies equiped with modern vehicles and such. more importantly, nuclear weapons make such a war unlikely, as any state close to defeat could just threaten to exterminate its enemy.

So no, I don;t see a world war being likely. Its not impossible, but highly improbable.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I think with globalization, the possibility of a world war is made almost impossible.

At most, you'll get conflict on 2 continents, I figure.
                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

although nuclear war is of course going to be global.

but again, why would china attack the U.S. or any nation on another continent? there is too much to lose. Even over Taiwan. And the U.S. has too much to lose getting involved in Taiwan as well.

Comment

I frankly doubt there will be any war between any two great powers again. Sure tensions can escalate but the same forces that derailed the escalation of the cuban missle crisis have only grown stronger in the years since.

Comment

Just like Rufus,
                      I think that the most likely scenario are some islamist countries (for example Sudi Arabia, after the revolution has swept away the current rulers) backed by one other nuclear power (China, Russia) fight against the USA (which will bring the EU into the war due to the treaties with the USA)
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

I am invading St Cloud USA right now check it before you wreck it trukaz!!!!!
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                          I frankly doubt there will be any war between any two great powers again. Sure tensions can escalate but the same forces that derailed the escalation of the cuban missle crisis have only grown stronger in the years since.
                          I doubt it.

You could count on responsible stewardship of nuclear arsenals from the rulers in Moscow and Washington. They might not have been the brightest bulbs in the house, but they had a simple situation to deal with and they valued the lives of their people.

I'm not convinced that all of the new powers can be counted on to feel the same way, nor to navigate a much more complicated board.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

200 years is a very long time, but extrapolating from the current situation, I don't think so. If one does break out, it's probably far enough into the future nobody will remember me predicting it wouldn't.

Edit: OTBOT agrees with me

Edit: OTBOT agreed with me
                            Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Youir post just isn't evil enough.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                              X