Crane collapse at Emerson College kills at least 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crane collapse at Emerson College kills at least 3

Three people were killed and two injured today when scaffolding came crashing down on Boston’s Boylston Street in a construction accident that sent eyewitnesses running from the terrifying collapse.

Two people were killed as they walked by and another victim was killed in a car during the 1:18 p.m. tragedy, fire officials said.

An enormous amount of scaffolding came raining down on the street below from as high as the 14th floor of an Emerson College building undergoing construction. A lift used to hoist building materials to upper floors was also said to be involved.

A man who witnessed the scaffolding falling apart said it all seemed to start in slow motion.

“I looked up and saw it falling. It was falling slow at first,” he told the Herald. “There was a construction worker lying on the ground and he was in a pool of blood.”

On the street, police were trying to determine if a woman was trapped in a Honda Civic. Sections of the scaffolding had dropped on the roof of the car.

A Boston Emergency Medical Services commander on the scene reported the fatalities. A press conference was expected.

“It’s terrible,” Mayor Thomas M. Menino told the Associated Press. The mayor drove to the accident site.

The terrifying sound of the collapsing scaffolding was the first sign of serious trouble, witnesses said.

Betsy Doherty, a manager of Remington’s Restaurant on Boylston Street, said everybody heard a “big crash” and realized something had gone terribly wrong.

“I went outside. A crane had collapsed straight across the street. This one little car was crushed,” she told the Herald. “They’ve closed the street and the alley and a lot of ambulances and police are around.”

She said the cranes were building dorms at Emerson College.

“I just got a sick feeling in my stomach hoping no one was hurt,” she added.

Traffic in the area was completely backed up and large crowds gathered near the Common.

According to the latest, no one from my college was killed. It happened at 1:10 - if it had happened at 12:45, when classes got out, it would have been a lot worse. The scaffold crashed right on to a makeshift tunnel for pedestrians that me and thousands of other students use.

I was in acting class about four buildings away. When we found out, it was surreal.

This has been a strange time, what with the Emerson student being killed by police after the ALCS last year.
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

That's bad for sure..

ps: Emerson student killed by police? And why was that?
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

In an attempt to have crowd control during unruly riots after a big sporting event, the police fired some rubber (supposedly non-lethal) bullets into the crowd. A female student got hit right in the eye. The rubber bullet went right into the eye and damaged her brain enough to kill her. If it had hit her anywhere else, she would have suffered only a nasty bruise.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I'm glad that TEF are wearing his tinfoil hat so he can see that there must be a connection between an "accidental" shooting and an "accidental" collapse of a crane.

Keep on fighting to reveal the conspiracies !!!
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

I don't think he's implying causality, blackcat, but rather noticing a strange, and sad, coincidence.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
            I'm glad that TEF are wearing his tinfoil hat so he can see that there must be a connection between an "accidental" shooting and an "accidental" collapse of a crane.

Keep on fighting to reveal the conspiracies !!!
            What in the hell are you talking about?
            "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

I mean, seriously, I had to read that a couple times. Thanks for putting me in a good mood

Comment

I probably should have added a - at least it gave you something to ponder about instead of the crash
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                X