Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

an interesting ad in the DC metro or Canadians this is where your tax dollars go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an interesting ad in the DC metro or Canadians this is where your tax dollars go

So last week i have an appointment that takes me to the Crystal City Virginia metro station. Crystal City is an office complex about a half mile from the pentagon, and its filled with Dept of Defence offices, so you get some unusual ads posted in the metro station, like defense contractors touting the new missile or plane (one ad last week, was for a littoral defence system - i dont need to tell you one person with a marker had deconstructed THAT ad)

So I see this big ad with pictures of soldiers in combat fatigues - ok - and a big red maple leaf. Something about Kandahar, and a suggestion to look at Canadianally.com for more information.

Well, it made sense I suppose. But still, these are interesting times.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

We know of the ad campaign. It is designed to raise awareness among Americans of the Canadian committment to the war on terror......

I've seen our tax dollars spent on sillier things.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Well I'm impressed. Though I'm worried, they may be spreading themselves thin:

22 soliders in Bosnia
      6 in Haiti
      9 in the Congo

Canada is a powerful ally to be sure. Critical to the defence of freedom all over the world.

I bet you could find some small rural county in Tennessee with more troops deployed around the world.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
          Canada is a powerful ally to be sure. Critical to the defence of freedom all over the world.
          Yes, that's what we do. We leave illegal invasions to the Americans.
          What?

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP
            Well I'm impressed. Though I'm worried, they may be spreading themselves thin:

22 soliders in Bosnia
            6 in Haiti
            9 in the Congo

I bet you could find some small rural county in Tennessee with more troops deployed around the world.
            Wow! Was that ever selective reading of the website you linked....

It starts (1st sentence that apparently you missed...):

More than 2,700 Canadian soldiers, sailors and Air Force personnel are deployed overseas on operational missions.
            Now. What small rural Tennesee county shall we compare?
            "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
            "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Considering there are 240,000 in the Army overseas, 350,000 in the Navy, (of whom about half are away from port right now) and more in the National Guard and Air Force, I would think it highly likely that some small counties, especially ones containing military bases, have over 3000 troops overseas.
              "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                Considering there are 240,000 in the Army overseas, 350,000 in the Navy, (of whom about half are away from port right now) and more in the National Guard and Air Force, I would think it highly likely that some small counties, especially ones containing military bases, have over 3000 troops overseas.
                counting guys on which base theyre from, rather than where they actually came from, is a tad silly though.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Every little bit helps.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                    We know of the ad campaign. It is designed to raise awareness among Americans of the Canadian committment to the war on terror......
                    But why?
                    Would that bring more american tourists to Canada?
                    CSPA

Comment

damn otbot ruining my posts
                      CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf

But why?
                        Would that bring more american tourists to Canada?
                        Trade issues, mainly.

We want US voters to look on Canada more favourably, so that their politicians stop dicking us around on trade.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Hell, we'd like our politicians to stop dicking us around too.

Comment

Yep.

Not in Iraq - we want the US to know we are in Afghanistan....

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                              damn otbot ruining my posts
                              I can't solve the red thing or the random bolding & capitalizing of text but at least OTBOT's stupid code to line out the word OTBOT is easily defeated.

Regular: OTBOT

New & Improved: OTBOT

Comment

Working...
                              X