Finished Moneyball; what to read next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanS
    You can't really separate business from baseball and baseball from business. That's what makes it such an interesting game, among other things.
    In a book? Sure you can. Read "Boys of Summer" or "The Numbers Game".
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
      In a book? Sure you can. Read "Boys of Summer" or "The Numbers Game".
      I can't really recommend George Will's Bunts. By the end of the book, he's changed his original well taken position and instead comes out in favor of the designated hitter rule

Comment

A wonderful Baseball book:

It's an amazing story about what is considered to be the best baseball season in history.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

A Feast for Crows. The entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, if you haven't, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
              A Feast for Crows. The entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, if you haven't, actually.
              While I like the series, I think it's going to turn into another "Wheel of Time".

ACK!

Comment

Except... R.R. Martin isn't a ****ty writer and has laid out specific plans. And the 4th one is finally giving us a clue how it will wrap up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                  Except... R.R. Martin isn't a ****ty writer and has laid out specific plans. And the 4th one is finally giving us a clue how it will wrap up.
                  In another 12 books..............

ACK!

Comment

Comment

Reading review about the books:
                      Seems good (information theory: I know nothing about it, except what I learn in some book i've read) Maybe It can be useful for my economics theory... we never know.
                      But a book pretending to explains me everything about black hole to brains. It's a little suspect....

But I'll give a try really soon!

see ya
                      bleh

Comment

Dan, have you read Halberstam? If not, I recommend that you go and read The Fifties, The Reckoning (probably the one most suited towards your tastes, it being an examination of the histories of Ford Motor and Nissan Motor from their birth to about 1985. Fascinating stuff, one that I read regularly), or Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World he Made. (Halberstam is an unabashed Chicagoan.)

He is my kind of author, a long, wordy intelligent writer who is not afraid of losing his audience with a long narrative.

The Reckoning is easily my favorite, but the book he is best known for, the Pulitzer-winning The Best and the Brightest doesn't make for as interesting reading as it did when first published: many of the names in which Halberstam goes into detail have faded from history and he loses the audience who either hasn't lived through the Vietnam war or who isn't actively studying it.

Comment

Re: Finished Moneyball; what to read next?

Originally posted by DanS
                          the highest quality sci-fi/fantasy,
                          Then you can't go wrong with anything by David Brin. In particular I would recommend Kiln People and the Uplift War series.

Comment

Working...
                          X