No announcement yet.

Finished Moneyball; what to read next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finished Moneyball; what to read next?

I just finished Moneyball, after having read Liar's Poker and The New New Thing.

What are some good books to read? Business, the highest quality sci-fi/fantasy, and the classics are down my alley.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Have you read any of the Enron books yet? Conspiracy of Fools by Kurt Eichenwald is probably the best, but 24 Days by Rebecca Smith and John Emshwiller has a better feel of what it was like to watch Enron collapse.

I don't recommend DisneyWar - James Stewart has yet to re-attain Den of Thieves-level quality.

How about Titan, by Robert Chernow, a biography of John D Rockefeller (and Standard Oil)? Conversely, Ida Tarbells History of Standard Oil has a more contemporaneous perspective.

Comment

The two Rothschilds books by Niall Ferguson;
      The House of Morgan, Ron Chernow
      Warburgs, Ron Chernow
      The Sixth Great Power (History of Barings) by Philip Ziegler.

And the best ever financial thriller, Green Monday by Michael M. Thomas
      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
      Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

A War Like No Other: How the Athenians and Spartans Fought the Peloponesian War by Victor Davis Hanson.

It's about a Democratic, Maritime Superpower that goes to war to imposed Democracy by force on other nations abroad...hmmm....
        Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

Originally posted by Saras
          The two Rothschilds books by Niall Ferguson;
          The House of Morgan, Ron Chernow
          Warburgs, Ron Chernow
          The Sixth Great Power (History of Barings) by Philip Ziegler.

And the best ever financial thriller, Green Monday by Michael M. Thomas
          Hmmm... I've read the House of Morgan by Chernow. The only Rothschilds book I have is one by Virginia Cowles.

Lots of good books. I'll queue them up!
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
            Have you read any of the Enron books yet? Conspiracy of Fools by Kurt Eichenwald is probably the best, but 24 Days by Rebecca Smith and John Emshwiller has a better feel of what it was like to watch Enron collapse.

I don't recommend DisneyWar - James Stewart has yet to re-attain Den of Thieves-level quality.

How about Titan, by Robert Chernow, a biography of John D Rockefeller (and Standard Oil)? Conversely, Ida Tarbells History of Standard Oil has a more contemporaneous perspective.
            Titan and Conspiracy of Fools added. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar
              imposed Democracy by force on other nations abroad...hmmm....
              Imposed democracy.

Comment

It's a pretty damn good book, actually. Especially as it covers the first "military revolution" in the Western World, and Athens can really be seen as America.
                Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

And here I was thinking you read Moneyball for the baseball . If so, I was going to offer a baseball history suggestion (The Numbers Game by Alan Schwarz), but oh well.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I reaed the new new thing in 2001 or 2002. I wasn't very impressed since it was just a hero worshipping book.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Who were the heroes being worshipped?

We might have read a different book.

Comment

I'll send you a copy of the LL's book once it is published.
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

LL's book?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            And here I was thinking you read Moneyball for the baseball .
                            You can't really separate business from baseball and baseball from business. That's what makes it such an interesting game, among other things.

Comment

The Goal
                              Burn Rate
                              Both books on LCM
                              Beyond the Hype
                              (sidebars in) Brealey and Myers

The Revolving Boy
                              Way of the Pilgrim
                              A Mirror for Observers
                              Beyond the Dark
                              The Power (F. Robinson)

Red Sky in Morning