• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Hostage Jill Carroll Leaves for Boston

A fortunate woman.

By MATT MOORE, Associated Press Writer
    Sun Apr 2, 11:10 AM ET

FRANKFURT, Germany - Former hostage Jill Carroll left Germany on Sunday aboard a commercial airliner headed to Boston, the final stage of her journey home after 82 days in captivity in Iraq.

Reporters aboard the Lufthansa plane said they saw the 28-year-old accompanied by a colleague from her employer, the Christian Science Monitor. The plane was scheduled to land in the United States around 12 p.m. EDT.

Carroll arrived at the Ramstein Air Base in southwestern Germany on Saturday from Balad Air Base in Baghdad. She strongly disavowed statements she had made during captivity in Iraq and shortly after her release, saying she had been repeatedly threatened.

In a video recorded before she was freed and posted by her captors on an Islamist Web site, Carroll spoke out against the U.S. military presence. On Saturday, she said the recording was made under duress.

"During my last night in captivity, my captors forced me to participate in a propaganda video. They told me I would be released if I cooperated. I was living in a threatening environment, under their control, and wanted to go home alive. So I agreed," she said in a statement.

"Things that I was forced to say while captive are now being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views. They are not."

Sen. John McCain (news, bio, voting record), R-Ariz., who was held prisoner for more than five years during the Vietnam War, on Sunday called Jill Carroll a young woman who found herself in "a terrible, terrible position" and said Americans should view her taped statements critical of the U.S. military presence in Iraq in that context.

"We are glad she's home. We understand when you're held a captive in that situation that you do things under duress. God bless her, and we're glad she's home," McCain said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

McCain said he would not take seriously anything Carroll said while she was being held captive.

"I would not take them seriously, I would not any more than we took seriously other tapes and things that were done in other prison situations, including the Vietnam War," McCain said.

Carroll, who has studied Arabic, attracted a huge amount of sympathy during her ordeal, and a wide variety of groups in the Middle East, including the Islamic militant group Hamas, appealed for her release.

Aside from the short interview aired on Iraqi television upon her release, Carroll had otherwise not shown herself in public prior to a brief appearance Saturday.

The kidnappers, calling themselves the Revenge Brigades, had demanded the release of all female detainees in Iraq by Feb. 26 or Carroll would be killed. U.S. officials did release some female detainees at the time, but said it had nothing to do with the demands.

In the statement, Carroll also disavowed an interview she gave to the Iraqi Islamic Party, a Sunni Arab organization in whose offices she was dropped off upon her release. She said the party had promised her the interview would not be aired "and broke their word."

"At any rate, fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely. Out of fear, I said I wasn't threatened. In fact, I was threatened many times," she said. "Also, at least two false statements about me have been widely aired: One — that I refused to travel and cooperate with the U.S. military, and two — that I refused to discuss my captivity with U.S. officials. Again, neither statement is true."

The remarks have drawn criticism from conservative bloggers and commentators, but the Monitor said "Carroll did what many hostage experts and past captives would have urged her to do: Give the men who held the power of life and death over her what they wanted."

Carroll has said her kidnappers confined her to a small, soundproof room with frosted, opaque windows.

In her statement Saturday, she condemned her captors, although she did not address the war in Iraq.

"I will not engage in polemics. But let me be clear: I abhor all who kidnap and murder civilians, and my captors are clearly guilty of both crimes," she said.

Carroll thanked those who had helped secure her release and said she wanted time to recover.

"This has been a taxing 12 weeks for me and for my family," she said. "Please allow us some quiet time alone, together."
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Very good news. But I still want to see this headline:

Ex-Hostage Jill Carroll Free...
    ...to pursue book, TV-movie, endless talk show deals
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Well, with the obvious proviso that I'm preeeetty sure she didn't plan this, yeah. I think of it more as the silver lining in the cloud.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Oh, absolutely. I meant to slam US media, not her.
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

The Christian Science Monitor certainly does stick up for its reporters - their behavior throughout this whole thing has been commendable.

But yeah, happy day - I was pulling for her.
          "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
          Drake Tungsten
          "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
          Albert Speer

Comment

Yes, a happy day for some...but not for idiot conservatives with Internet access!

Right-wing bloggers attack freed hostage for 'treason'
            By Francis Harris in Washington
            (Filed: 03/04/2006)

The freed American hostage Jill Carroll arrived home after 83 days of captivity in Iraq yesterday - to a barrage of criticism from Right-wingers who accused her of showing too much sympathy for her kidnappers.

But after an emotional reunion with her family in Boston, the 28-year-old freelance correspondent for the Christian Science Monitor spoke of her loathing for the gunmen who threatened her with death "many times" during her ordeal.

She described her captors as "criminals at best" and denied allegations that she had refused to answer questions from the American military.

She also disavowed a video-taped statement made during her captivity and another which was made shortly before American troops arrived to take custody of her.

"Things I was forced to say while captive are being taken by some as an accurate reflection of my personal views," she said. "They are not."

She said that her Iraqi translator, Alan Enwiya, had been murdered at the start of her captivity and that she remained "deeply angry with the people who did this".

Miss Carroll has been under sustained assault from some on the pro-war Right. Bloggers and hosts on the country's influential talk radio stations have attacked her for stating that she had not been threatened during her confinement.

Others attacked her for wearing Muslim dress and the news channel CNN carried an interview suggesting that she was suffering from "Stockholm Syndrome", in which victims begin to sympathise with their captors. One blogger called for Miss Carroll to be arrested for treason.

The terrorists holding her brought members of the Iraqi Islamic Party, a Sunni group, to see her. The Sunnis persuaded her to give a taped interview, which Miss Carroll said she was afraid to refuse.

"Fearing retribution from my captors, I did not speak freely," she said. "Out of fear, I said I had not been threatened. In fact I was threatened many times."

Miss Carroll's captivity has been more widely reported than that of any other American hostage but received considerably less attention than comparable dramas in Britain or Italy. Unlike most Europeans, Americans are convinced that they are at war with a relentless and inhumane enemy.

Miss Carroll's first videotape appeared to contradict that widely-held view and provoked much of the criticism. The attacks were also stoked by a widespread suspicion among supporters of the war, from the White House downwards, that reporters from "the liberal media" are effectively allying itself with the insurgents.

President George W Bush and his senior officials have strongly implied that, by reporting terrorist "spectaculars" in Iraq while ignoring progress elsewhere in the country, the media have undermined public support at home.

Many Americans also have high expectations about the behaviour of their nationals in perilous situations.

There was widespread shock throughout the country when two Italian women hostages in Iraq, freed in 2004 for a reported $1 million ransom, expressed understanding for the insurgency.

Miss Carroll distanced herself from that kind of sentiment.

"I abhor all who kidnap and murder civilians and my captors are clearly guilty of both crimes," she said.

Comment

Yeah, what a flip-flopper. First she's all "Yay terrorists! They're swell!" and now she's all "Well, they threatened to chop my head off if I didn't say those things on camera for them. No sh*t I was going to comply with my captors." She should have done the honorable thing and just let them kill her...

How anyone can criticize her and her actions through her ordeal is just utterly beyond me.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Why are all the first letters in my previous post capitalized and everything bolded?
                Last edited by DRoseDARs; April 3, 2006, 02:10.
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

OTBOT is a right winger.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

DRosesDARs posts are so important that they need to be bolded so we don't miss them.

However, Drose, don't let this go to your head. You're posts aren't pink and bolded.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

hopefully she'll be smart enough not to go back to that country.

Comment

Originally posted by monolith94
                        The Christian Science Monitor certainly does stick up for its reporters - their behavior throughout this whole thing has been commendable.

But yeah, happy day - I was pulling for her.
                        I was pulling for her as well. She's kind of cute.

Comment

I.
                          Don't.
                          Care.

in fact... I'm going to start rooting for the terrists

anyone stupid enough to go to Iraq pretty much deserves what they get

not that I want people to die... but seriously... don't go where you aren't welcome
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You pulled for...er, I'm almost afraid to ask, but is that a deliberate innuendo on your part, Dis, or just my own dirty mind at work?
                            1011 1100
                            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X