No announcement yet.

New Desktop Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

True story: Today in one of my lectures we're listening to student presentations on research projects. One group decided to immitate the "Aqua Dock look-and-feel" for information in their project (tables). So when you moused over the tables in a row at the bottom, it blew up the one you're viewing pretty slickly.

The prof afterwards asked why they went with such an annoying interface that's been soundly discredited in HCI circles. The kid was just "familiar" with it.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
      The bloody taskbar keeps popping up everytime someone IM's me on Messenger
      Turn it off in messenger then.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
        But then again, how many other people get to take the piss out of Tony Robbins at work?
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

I used Object dock for a while. Its just a pretty piece of crap that replaces the desktop icons. It doesn't work very well. The fancy icons are nice, though.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Asher is being glorious again
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
              I used Object dock for a while. Its just a pretty piece of crap that replaces the desktop icons. It doesn't work very well. The fancy icons are nice, though.
              Maybe so for desktops, but for laptops it's great because you're reducing mouse movement to open an application.
              Last edited by Whaleboy; April 12, 2006, 13:59.
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Why is that bold?
                "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison

Comment

Its OTBOT

Maybe So For Desktops, But For Laptops It's Great Because You're Reducing Mouse Movement To Open An Application.
                  You can always put icons of the programs you use most often on your desktop (but, judging by your desktop, you don't seem to want that), or in the quicklaunch, or pin them in the Start menu. I'm sure you can find better looking icons, too. IMO, Objectdock is just a pretty, buggy, barely functional program launcher. It doesn't replace the taskbar. It may not be pretty, but the Windows XP taskbar does its job very well.
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

functionality is overrated and is so XX century. Pretty=
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
                      You can always put icons of the programs you use most often on your desktop (but, judging by your desktop, you don't seem to want that), or in the quicklaunch, or pin them in the Start menu. I'm sure you can find better looking icons, too. IMO, Objectdock is just a pretty, buggy, barely functional program launcher. It doesn't replace the taskbar. It may not be pretty, but the Windows XP taskbar does its job very well.
                      Putting icons on the desktop looks ugly and cluttered imho. The quicklaunch is far too small and doesn't give launch feedback or tell me what applications are open.

Like I said earlier, you have a point for the desktop, but the requirements of the desktop are completely different to that of a laptop, at least how I use it. I want to minimise use of the trackpad, so selecting an application with the swipe of a finger is pretty much perfect for me. If I had more money I'd have bought a MacBook, but my Core Duo Acer was only £770 .

Comment

How about these icons?

Attached Files

Comment

Powerbook Desktop.

Gene Cernan diriving to work.
                          Attached Files
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Come on people. You just aren't trying.

Next one on my rotation.
                            Attached Files
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment