Daylight Savings Time is the Devil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daylight Savings Time is the Devil

and Mitch Daniels is his right hand man.

By Theodore Kim, USA TODAY
    Fri Mar 31, 6:56 AM ET

Many Indiana residents will do something this weekend they haven't done in decades: change their clocks.

More than 30 years after most of Indiana decided that it would stay on Eastern Standard Time year round, all Hoosier clocks will follow most of the rest of the nation and spring forward one hour for daylight-saving time.

That will leave Arizona and Hawaii as the only states that do not observe daylight-saving time.

The vast majority of Indiana's 92 counties will switch to Eastern Daylight Time, while a handful of communities in northwest and southwest Indiana will operate on Central Daylight Time.

The historic clock change - an annual ritual elsewhere that officially comes at 2 a.m. the first Sunday in April - has evoked images in Indiana of Y2K revisited: Businesses are prepping for possible computer glitches; TV schedules are being tweaked; T-ball leagues are expanding because of the added evening daylight. Even the start time of the sacred Indianapolis 500 auto race has been pushed back this year (from noon to 1 p.m.) to accommodate the daylight change.

Indiana towns bordering other states, meanwhile, are celebrating the end of a haze of confusion.

"With the new setup, we're a happy people," said Pete Olson, city manager for Union City, Ind., a community on the Ohio border that for years has observed both Eastern Standard and Daylight times.

Until this weekend, 10 western counties observed Central Standard Time in the winter and Central Daylight in the summer; five in the southeast observed Eastern Standard in winter and Eastern Daylight in summer; and the other 77 counties were on Eastern Standard but never observed daylight saving.

But that arrangement, most of which was adopted in 1971 as a compromise between Hoosiers who wanted to be in the Central Time Zone and those who wanted to be in the Eastern Time Zone, has stirred controversy.

Prodded by Republican Gov. Mitch Daniels and business leaders, who said the change would help end confusion that has hurt economic growth, the General Assembly approved the new scheme last year after bitter debate.
    To be honest I could probably live with DST, but Eastern DST is so moronic that I have no idea how Daniels got the measure to pass. Oh, right, he never held the debate he promised, told each county they could ask for a time zone and then told all of them but the Northwest corner to bugger off and like Eastern time. All of Indiana, the entire thing resides in the Central Time Zone. Even economic reasons are BS since Chicago is the closest major city. I doubt Indiana businesses work with NY firms enough to justify something like this and Detroit and Cincy aren't big enough.

Why does anyone use DST anyway? Does lighting really cost that much? What other reasons are there?
    I never know their names, But i smile just the same
    New faces...Strange places,
    Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
    -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Apparently, the DoT says that daylight savings reduces electricity usage by 1% while it is in effect... which seems small, but is quite a bit.

And, of course, it is so there is more sun when people are generally awake, so people could enjoy outdoor activities, like going to the beach or so.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Oh, and Indiana should be Eastern Timezone... if Michigan is, so should you .
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It makes buisness her a little hard when the guy on the other side of the river is 1 hour behind you.

Time Warp!
        Monkey!!!

Comment

It doesn't matter, Indiana borders both time zones. So no matter which time zone we choose it will always be an hour apart from some state.

Michigan's weak. We can't listen to a state we stole land from.

What's interesting to me is the information that Jeff Sagarin of the Sagarin Rating in USA Today has.
          as it stands now, Indiana is the only state of all the 50 states that is completely in the true mathematical boundaries of one time zone (Central) and yet is wrongly classified in another (Eastern). Thus when Indiana goes onto Eastern Daylight Saving Time, it will be TWO hours off from true earth-sun time.
          As of now, Daylight Saving Time occurs from April-October, a 7-month period. But the U.S. Congress is moving towards extending it to March-November, which would mean Indiana would be TWO hours off from physical reality for 9 months out of the year.
          I never know their names, But i smile just the same
          New faces...Strange places,
          Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
          -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Arizona does not have daylight savings time but the Navajo indian reservation does. And it takes up a huge chunk of the state. Just one of those useless facts I like to throw out there.

Comment

That was awesomely useless! Good job Dis
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I try my best

Comment

hour
                  back

get it?!
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Ben Franklin

Comment

Spring forward!
                      Work for 7 hours... get paid for 8!!
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

do you work at 2:00 AM?

I lose an hour of sleep

Comment

I think it would be easier to alter earth's axis or rotation to give us more daylight. It'd save the trouble of moving all the clocks forwards. Sure the southern hemisphere might be screwed, but who cares about them anyways? What has Australia ever done for us except for the mad max movies?

Comment

Originally posted by Donegeal
                            Spring forward!
                            ... to fall down.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                              do you work at 2:00 AM?

I lose an hour of sleep
                              2300-0700 Spring forward rocks. However, when it goes back I get stuck with a 9 hour shift and only get paid for 8. (but I have enough senority that I can pretty much be assured of getting the night off if I wanted too... )
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                              X